ADDING A NEW CHICKEN TO MY FLOCK

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Buffman, Jan 30, 2014.

1. Buffman

Buffman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2012
    I added a Barred Rock Hen to my flock of three Buff Orpingtons recently but they continue to chase and peck her. The three buffs hang out together but the Barred Rock is not included. It's been three weeks now and I'm beginning to think the new hen will always be picked on and not part of the group. Can I expect that the chasing and pecking will eventually stop and she will be part of the flock. HELP as it bothers be that she is being treated this way.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    A single bird added to an established flock, especially one of a different breed than all the rest probably will always be an outsider.
    Birds of a feather flock together.
    It's the reality of flock dynamics.
    It's best to add like numbers and like sizes.

There are 2 things you can do,
    Get one or two more BRs.
    Take 2 of the BOs away for a week or more to allow the others to become friends then put one BO back every few days.

I'm down to two birds that aren't all the same breed. Those two hang together even though they've been around the others for a couple years.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2014
  3. Buffman

Buffman Out Of The Brooder

Jun 2, 2012
    Thanks for your help. I may try one of your suggestions

4. Amina

Amina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 12, 2013
    Raleigh, NC
    I had great results recently in a similar situation, by removing the most aggressive older hen for a week and then putting her back. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by