Adding a new duck to the crew?

McChics

Songster
7 Years
Apr 10, 2015
My coworker got two ducks (Pekin) from Tractor Supply a couple weeks after we got ours. Last night they had left them out in a dog kennel and a predator got to one of them through the wire. They only have the one left and don't want to keep it just by itself.

I agreed to take her on (Dolly) - they think she is female.

Mine are now 8 weeks and living outside...and loving it I might add.

What should I expect bringing a new one in? I know chickens are terribly mean to new ones...

Been there done that with chickens...but what about ducks?????

She comes tonight around 5:30 pm

Thanks guys!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Weather is warmer now too - I feel better about letting Dolly stay out at night...now that I know the way the others handled it so well.

Got Dolly last night. She is right at two weeks younger and still needs to grow out some more feathers. The other ducks were VERY curious about her and came up to see what we were holding. One of them looked like she might have been trying to snip/snap, but we didn't let them get close enough. The others would vibrate their necks really fast and make some subtle hissing noises.

It was 45 last night, so I went ahead and set up a small brooder for her her in the garage right next to two little chicks that are about three weeks old now. Going on four. They can see each other through the screen and are VERY curious about each other as well. Dolly however is crying the moment we put her down. She ate and drank but won't take any peas or other treats.

Over the next few days I'll have her out each day with the others and this weekend we'll give them plenty of time to start working out the newbie kinks.

So...not going super smooth. Dolly is smaller and still feathering out - just about 2 weeks behind the others as previously stated. The others want to get on top of her and or wrap their necks around hers. I can't tell what they are doing for sure. Was less of a problem in their pool as Dolly could swim away. But out in the yard they gang up on her. They start vibrating their necks really fast when they get close to her. I've given limited exposure and limited intervention, but ended up pulling her away and or blocking the others from any potential harm.

Here is what is crazy, she is bonding big time with the two baby chickens I have in the brooder next to her in the garage. There is an open spot at the bottom of the brooder with chicken wire over it - she sleeps right against that and so do the baby chickens now too.

Yesterday I set up a dog X-pen in the yard and put the two baby chicks and the duck in there - gave the duck a small tote to swim in. The three of them are like peas in a pod. Oh, and Dolly has now started taking treats and loves her peas. She wouldn't touch them the first two days.

Add a duck to the mix from the other three and there is chaos. Add a chicken from the flock in there...and it is peaceful.

Also, the ducks are starting to bully my chickens pretty bad. I didn't expect that. I honestly thought it would be the other way around. Ducks/drakes are just now in that 8 week range...and really getting bold.

We will again today let them spend time together up and through the long weekend. Dolly will be ready for full time outside soon enough anyway.

Not only is she younger, but she is far more reserved than the others and loves to just be held. She will sit on your lap and snuggle to you until you physically have to get up and move.

My Ducks put the Run on my chickens. I'd really try and get the single Duckling introduced to the Ducklings soon. Ducklings act scared but never hormone fuelled aggressive towards other Ducklings. A bit of nipping and neck tying and all is forgotten.

My Ducks put the Run on my chickens. I'd really try and get the single Duckling introduced to the Ducklings soon. Ducklings act scared but never hormone fuelled aggressive towards other Ducklings. A bit of nipping and neck tying and all is forgotten.
Tell me more about the neck tying.... what is that all about? Is it ever fatal? Made me worry they were going to press her to the ground or something like that and do some harm.

I'll have her back with them this afternoon for a while and see.

This whole crappy part about having to work for a living during the other hours of the day sure gets in the way of things...eh? LOL

Back
Top Bottom