Adding a new egg on day 10

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickieduckie, Dec 26, 2016.

1. chickieduckie

chickieduckie New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    Hi! I'm setting eggs for my first time and they're currently on day 10... well yesterday I got an egg from a hen who's been in molt but that I would like to try to hatch out. I only have one incubator and don't want to wait until these hatch to put this one in. Can I add this egg today and just leave it in the incubator after the others hatch? Would it be ok through lockdown for the first set of eggs?

Thanks! I feel like this may be a dumb question, but I would at least like to try [​IMG]

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Some people don't like doing it but you can and I do it often.

What you want to consider is that turning in the first couple weeks is more critical than the last week (though still important).
    Don't worry about raising humidity for the others affecting the new one.
    Humidity isn't a set number. It is about getting the proper weight loss. It can vary from day to day.
    You may want to wait an extra day to lock down the older eggs so you can continue turning the other.
    As long as you don't have pips, you can open the incubator to turn.
    The only thing you may want to do when you pull the chicks is give it a good cleaning before you put the other egg back.

3. chickieduckie

chickieduckie New Egg

Jun 24, 2016
    Awesome! Thanks so much :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by