Adding a new rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by mylilfarm2659, Jan 29, 2014.

1. mylilfarm2659

mylilfarm2659 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 19, 2014
    I had 8 hens and 1 rooster in my chicken yard. I added 8 more hens and another rooster. The first rooster is not very happy about this and has been chasing and intimidating the new rooster. Pecking order has been established and the first rooster won the alpha position. However, it has been 4 days and the first rooster won't let the new one anywhere near the hens, food or water. Is there anything I can do to speed up getting the roosters to tolerate each other?

2. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    you can try and see what happens if the old rooster is removed from the hens for two or three weeks, see if he will share after that exile.

3. Beekissed

Beekissed True BYC Addict

In a penned situation it gives very little leeway for getting away from the top roo, so it will likely go on for some time as 16 hens is a little too few for two mature roosters. If you free ranged you might get away with it but there will always be fighting for hen rights with that ratio and in a penned situation. He will get to eat and drink eventually when things settle down a bit but it's not likely he'll be able to breed much except for a sneaky one now and again.

Did you get the second rooster for a specific breeding purposes or did you just want a second one? One young, prime rooster can cover 16 hens quite well if you wish to do without the extra one.

4. mylilfarm2659

Jan 19, 2014
    I was told that 10 chickens per rooster was what I needed so that is why I got the second rooster (sad face). I am incubating eggs and have 40 that are fertile so hopefully that will help even thought it will take quite a while. I'll have to keep an eye on them and just make sure there is food and water for the second chicken in another place....don't know what else to do. My chicken yard is fairly large so hopefully they will figure it out soon. Thanks for your reply I appreciate it a lot.

5. mylilfarm2659

Jan 19, 2014
    Ah! That is a great idea! Thanks, I think I'll try it.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by