Adding a roo, and more chicks questions!!!

RedfogsFlock

Songster
12 Years
Jan 17, 2010
Wittmann, AZ
We have had a happy flock of 4 leghorn girls, one silky, 2 RIR, and 2 EE, with one roo for awhile now.

Well recently my mom brought home

2 leghorns, 3 orpingtons, 2 barred rocks, 3 ducks, 2 turkeys, 2 RIR, and 3 more EE's, with a full grown roo. We have no idea how old the roo is but he's old enough that someone has cut off his spurs and they were huge, still are just dull.

So I've read that with a roo and established flock we cannot introduce another roo. So is there going to be a way to introduce this new to the flock once they are all grown and out of the brooder, or am I wishing on a chicken?

I know our roo's will fight to establish who's dominate, but my roo now is only 3 months, and this guy is full grown. I'm worried that even in 3 months when it's time to release all the babies that the older roo can and will hurt my current roo. We would like for them all to live together peacefully, ALL of our chickens free range as soon as they are old enough and have 4 acres to do it. Currently the new roo is in a coop and not allowed to free range
sad.png
I do have one girl that really likes him and I let her in his pen sometimes he's good to her.

ANY SUGGESTIONS!?!?!?!?!?!?
barnie.gif

I think your timing is much better than you might think. Of course there are exceptions, so watch closely when you make the intro. Seems that a young roo, like yours at 3 months, will recognize the dominance of the older guy and little, if any scuffle will result. The old boy will simply assert his dominance and the youngster will run away. It will be beneath the dignity of the older roo to give chase as his attention will be on the hens. Good for you. Go ahead and put them together.

I nearly forgot to add that the old boy will not be a problem for the youngsters you will be adding. What will be a problem is all those hens that will resent the new strangers. Make sure they have lots of roomto escape the hens......Pop

Last edited:
Quote:
Pop thank you so very much!
thumbsup.gif
I do have one question, should we introduce now, or in 3 months when we release all the new little ones?

Oh and to avoid the whole intro problem, we have 3 pens.

One pen is large enough that we have our brooder outside in it.! Then we have another pen that is close enough to where everyone can see each other but not touch each other! It's a life saver doing it that way makes introductions easier because they already know each other.
jumpy.gif

I would do it now. If you let that young roo get to be 6 months, he`ll probably get his butt kicked. The transition will be much easier for him if it`s done now as he will simply cave in and run in the presents of a mature cock. That pen that is in view of the others will be good for the chick intros. See if it don`t work just like I`m telling ya. Good luck.........Pop

Back
Top Bottom