Adding a rooster...Tips?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jackhorn01, Feb 27, 2013.

1. jackhorn01

jackhorn01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    I ordered a rhode island red cockerel in addition to my new chicks. When hes out of the brooder and old enough do I incorporate him in just like I would any new pullet or just throw him in and let him try to gain control lol. I am new to the rooster thing, and want one just because I like listening to them crow and just like them in general. He will be in with 5 other rhode island reds, 2 barred rocks, 3 buff orphingtons, 2 partridge rocks, 2 jersey giants, 3 cuckoo marans, and 3 red stars. First off if I ever did decide I wanted to hatch some eggs, I would probably only want to raise the pure rhode island reds. I do know however, from reading certain breeds are able to hatch with others and certain ones are not. Anyone know which of these if any would be compatible with the rhode island red rooster? Reasons why i shouldn't try it if I got bored? lol.... Also would I have to stop putting laying pellets in the coop since hes in there or just offer something else along with it?

2. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    I would incorporate him with your other new chicks. It is always easier to be one of several. I think that all of the breeds you mentioned will be okay to breed with your Roo, but there are far more knowledgeable people than me, so I will chick back to see what they think.

3. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Integrate him the same time you do the chicks he has grown up with.

The problem with different breeds interbreeding is usually size difference, bantams and large fowl. Chickens are all one specie. I don't know off hand that any two breeds can't make fertile eggs together.

On calcium. Once a rooster is grown he can handle calcium a little better then chicks. If you give them anything else besides layer feeds or free range the calcium that he will get is lowered. I give my flock scratch and free range them. That cuts the calcium that he gets.

4. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I agree, just keep him with his broodmates and put them in together. He'll be immature at that point and the older hens will probably kick his butt, just like they will with the pullets.

All those breeds can breed together. As states, chickens are chickens and can all mix. Bantam and large fowl are the only issues.

If you hatch out the barred rock or cuckoo marans eggs, you'll have sex link chicks! Males will have a white spot on their heads, females will have solid heads. None of your other crosses will be sex linked, I don't think. I love hatching out mixed breed birds. Course, my dogs and horses are all mixed breed. Technically, so am I!

Your young birds shouldn't have layer feed until they're, well, laying. I prefer not to give the rooster layer feed and I have a mixed age/gender flock so I feed and all-in-one and offer oyster shell on the side for the hens to self rugulate how much calcium they take in.

5. jackhorn01

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    So the RIR and BR will make black sex links, what about the marans?

6. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    I said Marans will make sex links, too [​IMG]

7. jackhorn01

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    Ok, so I'm new to roosters and obviously didn't know as much about sex links as I thought I did. So the chicks both the br and the marans will hatch are both called "black' sex links? So I'm guessing with all the sex links, its just a color thing and its luck of the draw what qualities they will have based off what breeds they are since multiple breeds can make the same classification of sex link? Example. I wanted some golden sex links. My neighbor has some golden sex links that are a rhode island red and rhode island white cross. I have red where red star, cinnamon queen, and a couple other names are the same chicken as the golden sex link but all come from different combonations. So is that the case and sex link is kind of like a make and not a model? lol, and you just have to know which breeds were used to know what qualities you will get in them?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by