Adding a rooster to yard.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by jaybud, Jun 20, 2016.

1. jaybud

jaybud Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    So I recently picked up a Americana rooster to go along with my younger hens. After bringing him inside the yard and laying him down in a separate cage the others wanted to fence fight with him. The dynamics of my chickens seems to be split into two different flocks. First flock is 6 sex links, 1 mixed rooster and 2 ducks. Second flock is 2 younger Americauna hens and 1 sebrite hen in which the first flock still hasn't accepted them but not fighting. The new rooster blended well with the second flock and bedded down with them last night. But this morning as I do, I let my birds out to free range but kept the new guy in the cage to prevent any fights. Is there anything I should do to have him not fight with the first flock. I'm also picking up another sebrite rooster for my hen this week so I can have a rooster for each breed. Im open to any suggestions, thnx.

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I think you are looking for trouble. It's always best to raise roosters within a flock to avoid all out fighting. I personally pen any roosters I'm adding to the flock within the coop for a few months. All pecking order issues will usually get worked out through the fence so when I finally release them they take there place without too much troubles.

You will have too many roosters for your hens. I would expect lots of chaos in the coming weeks. If you have lots of room and free range it may eventually work out. Getting along for the first few days is normal as roosters size each other up from a distance. You didn't mention the age of your chickens which can play a role in how it goes too.

2 people like this.
  3. jaybud

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    First flock is 18 weeks old and second flock is 14 weeks old if that helps.

4. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    It might help being younger, I would just see how it goes.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2016
  5. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

Honestly, you are going to have problems--- too many boys, not enough girls.
    The boys will fight, the girls will be over-mated and worn out.
    You should have at least 10-12 hens for each roo.

1 person likes this.
  6. dekel18042

dekel18042 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    How old is the new rooster you are adding? Oldhenlikesdogs is correct in that you have an abundance of roosters for your hens.
    Adult roosters the same age and even similarly aged cockerels are the most difficult to integrate. It seems to work better introducing a rooster to a juvenile (especially if there are pullets with him.) or having young cockerels come up through the ranks. These quickly learn their place.

1 person likes this.
  7. jaybud

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    The new rooster is about 5 months old, so far today it seems the young hens are hanging around him and he's already trying to mate with them. It's just my first flock that doesn't want anybody else involved with them. As long as the second flock stays away and keeps there distance nobody fights. I making the assumption that nobody else is invited to there party. Lol

8. jaybud

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    So i decided to free range the new rooster today after all the fence fighting stopped. My old rooster didn't fight with him at all and only the older hens seems to chase him off if he gets too close to the flock. Now he just hangs with the younger hens and stays away from the main flock. Hopefully pecking order has been established and the yard will be back to normal.

9. jaybud

May 25, 2016
    Tehachapi, Ca
    Now I just need to figure out why my Rouen drake is getting mildly aggressive with the hens whenever he gets around any water, pool or watering cans.

10. oldhenlikesdogs

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Most drakes mate in water so he could be getting excited and trying to mate.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by