Adding a rooster

Aug 5, 2017
I have 3 Rhode Island reds (1.5 year old) and 2 cemanis (8 months old). I have a 12 week old frizzle sizzle silkie rooster, he is taller than they are but not nearly as plump. Will my ladies get along with him? Should I just put him in the coop later during the night (I am planning on him cooping with the 2 cemanis)?

1) did your raise him or acquire him? Do to some illnesses that can be spread between chickens if you acquire him he should be quarantined for about 4 weeks to reduce the risk of illness in the flock (personally I haven't been strict about this myself and have been lucky). If you raises him, or had him a while its up to you.
2) introductions, a pen beside or in the run would keep him safe for a week or 2 until they are use to each others presence, then slowly leaving the pen open for longer times for him to visit and mingle untill you are sure its safe to move him, or he moves into the coop on him own. Unfortunately for mine he was about 10-11 weeks when we introduced him. He stressed out so badthe first day he was dehydrated and wobbly. I got him drinking water again and feeling better. The next day I just let him out to miggle with the girl and jept close watch on everyone.
3) Straight to the coop? I don't know mine was in the run about 5 days before i put him in the coop. We did have issues with one of the hens pecking him. But things where claming down by then. So if you do put him straight in the coop be sure to keep an eye on everyone for the next few days for possible bullies have safe places he can hude but escape easily

Overall it's a process regardless of how you do it. But take your time and they will adjust. Mine is now 12-13 weeks and though he doesn't miggle well yet and still gets pecked from time to time he is big enough to hold his own and get away if needed. He still sleeps on the lowest roost and usually forges the far side of the run. But i did learn my first time introducing pullets that this all seems pretty normal and the younger ones will keep thier distance untill they come of age and become a full fledged member of the flock. For my pulleys it was always right around the tinge they laided thier first egg that suddenly i would see them fordging in with the others not off away from them.

Back
Top Bottom