Adding a rooster

Oct 17, 2020
We have 6 bantam chickens (Polish, Silky, Cochin, Serama, D'uccle, Easter-egger). Im considering getting a rooster for them in the spring. What breed should I get since there's a mix of everything in my flock?

I agree, the rooster should be bantam, pick one that you like! People always have roosters to give away, and if he’s older you can ask about personality and find a gentleman. Be sure to check him over for mites and other diseases or injuries, you don’t want to bring a sick bird into the flock. If the place he’s coming from is clean (you might want to pick him up at the place where you get him so that you can see) and nice then he is probably okay, but always check! When I integrated my new rooster I put him in a cage in the coop at night and let him free during the day. I have a large pen, so I set up a little hidden spot with food and water for him because the three older hens didn’t appreciate his presence. Within four or five days everything was perfect, and now he’s an accepted member of the flock—although maybe not in charge of the older ladies. But he does enjoy bossing around the young ducks and pullets! When you get him make sure to check his crop at night to be sure they are letting him get his share of food. I would also encourage trying to find one around the same age or older as the hens—a very young cockerel won’t bode well with the mature ladies, and may scare or over-mate them. An older rooster will usually be a gentleman and has some experience with hens.

I love having a rooster around, it completes a flock in my opinion, and I enjoy watching them all interact. Good luck!

I agree, the rooster should be bantam, pick one that you like! People always have roosters to give away, and if he’s older you can ask about personality and find a gentleman. Be sure to check him over for mites and other diseases or injuries, you don’t want to bring a sick bird into the flock. If the place he’s coming from is clean (you might want to pick him up at the place where you get him so that you can see) and nice then he is probably okay, but always check! When I integrated my new rooster I put him in a cage in the coop at night and let him free during the day. I have a large pen, so I set up a little hidden spot with food and water for him because the three older hens didn’t appreciate his presence. Within four or five days everything was perfect, and now he’s an accepted member of the flock—although maybe not in charge of the older ladies. But he does enjoy bossing around the young ducks and pullets! When you get him make sure to check his crop at night to be sure they are letting him get his share of food. I would also encourage trying to find one around the same age or older as the hens—a very young cockerel won’t bode well with the mature ladies, and may scare or over-mate them. An older rooster will usually be a gentleman and has some experience with hens.

I love having a rooster around, it completes a flock in my opinion, and I enjoy watching them all interact. Good luck!
Good advice, but you can’t just look a new bird over and assume it’s fine and add it to your flock. He will need to be quarantined for at least 2 weeks, a see but can’t touch type of scenario, until you are sure he’s healthy. You would check the poop everyday, make sure he doesn’t seem to have any illnesses. Once ready to be let out, the mature hens will not accept him right away - esp since he’s a roo. You might notice them “putting him in his place” for awhile until they are ready to submit.

Good advice, but you can’t just look a new bird over and assume it’s fine and add it to your flock. He will need to be quarantined for at least 2 weeks, a see but can’t touch type of scenario, until you are sure he’s healthy. You would check the poop everyday, make sure he doesn’t seem to have any illnesses. Once ready to be let out, the mature hens will not accept him right away - esp since he’s a roo. You might notice them “putting him in his place” for awhile until they are ready to submit.
Oh true, forgot about that 😬

Currently I have no idea how old my new hens are. I know theyre laying. I have messaged the person who gave them to us to see if he remembers. I only know that they hatched and raised them. Im not sure which bantam I like better lol thanks for the advice on the quarantine. I'll definitely make sure to do that. We did it with our ducks.

Currently I have no idea how old my new hens are. I know theyre laying. I have messaged the person who gave them to us to see if he remembers. I only know that they hatched and raised them. Im not sure which bantam I like better lol thanks for the advice on the quarantine. I'll definitely make sure to do that. We did it with our ducks.
The breed of rooster I find to be the absolute best are bantam Cochins. Mine is not particularly cuddly, but he’s a good rooster and not aggressive at all. He is a partridge cochin

Attachments

• 8C7A33ED-D958-4B84-A1BD-402EC1A6BF5E.jpeg
    8C7A33ED-D958-4B84-A1BD-402EC1A6BF5E.jpeg
    852.6 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom