Adding a rooster

KyCarolyn

Chirping
Oct 23, 2020
A few weeks ago I lost my beautiful young rooster to a dog. He was managing 10 girls. I have another rooster who has been minding 5 girls.
After about 2 weeks the remaining rooster noticed there were no other guys around and decided he would add the 10 to his 5. However, the 5 are a year older than the 10 and are very clichish and possessive of their man. They have even attempted to kick him off of the younger girls. They are so funny to watch!!

The 5 and the 10 often run opposite directions. We have 2.5 acres that they free range 2 + hours a day. My poor rooster is a tired boy.

I am getting another roo. How do I integrate him into this situation? Your help is appreciated.

Attachments

• 0715211947a.jpg
    0715211947a.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 2
Welcome to byc!! Personally I would put the rooster who will be with the five girls in a pen, and put the rooster with the ten girls in a pen with them and have the pens near each other so both the roosters can see each other but not hurt each other. Then again that is just my opinion. Hopefully someone more knowledgeable will be here soon.

Hello again.
I am getting another roo. How do I integrate him into this situation? Your help is appreciated.
It's not a good idea to bring a sexually mature cockerel/rooster into a flock with a resident cock bird. They will fight.
I would wait until spring for one of your hens to go broody then let her hatch some eggs and keep one of the cockerels. The senior rooster is more likely to accept one of his sons as the junior rooster.

Last edited:
If you get another rooster, try to find out about the health and living conditions he was living in. Cause it will help to determine his health.

1+ years old is a plus for a easier integration with a flock. He should be calm and know how to handle the hens with no issues.

When you do find a suitable rooster, you should quarantine him for a month. To be absolutely sure he's healthy and not carrying any diseases.

If you don't you might end up with a dead flock. Always play it safe so you avoid the headaches. And good luck.

Back
Top Bottom