adding a turner

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farrier!, Apr 29, 2009.

1. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I have 40-50 odd eggs now. I just received my new/used bator with a turner. I have had no trouble with keep the tempurture steady in my old one.
    Do I se the new one up with the turner and wait until I am sure it is holding steady then move eggs to it? After reading about all the temperature spikes I am worried.
    I can wait about 8 more days for the first eggs to hit day 18 then move them into the newer incubator for hatching then all the rest will fit on the turner.
    Part of me does not want to fix what is not broken but in a few weeks we need to be gone for 24-36 hours. I should have someone who can baby sit the eggs but it would be easier if she did not have to turn them.

So if I add the turner to the already setup incubator will it change the temperature?

2. scbatz33

scbatz33 No Vacancy, Belfry Full

Jan 23, 2009
    South GA
    Your temp will drop because you have to open the incubator. It will go back up. I have turners in both of mine, they don't appear to effect the overall running temp. If I were you, I would wait til you shift the first hatch out and then add the turner when all the remaingin eggs will fit. My turners only hold 41 standard eggs.

3. farrier!

farrier! Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by