Adding an abandoned chicken

Toctoc

In the Brooder
Aug 27, 2017
New England
Today I helped animal control catch a loose chicken on the side of a busy road. . . I am no chicken expert! My husband and I are debating on whether we should adopt her. She looks to be 2-4 years old. Her beak in cut, wing feathers are cut on one side, and she is super thin. We could see her breast bone protruding.

My questions are about what I should look for around deseases and, honestly, whether we should adopt her. I have two pullets who are content on their own, they are fat and fluffy, and still not laying, but they have a good relationship and things are perfect with my dogs and cat. I'm afraid to disrupt that. I'm afraid if getting them sick from this girl as well.
Her crop was red, her legs were normal, her eyes were clear, her feathers weren't healthy, but she is starving and it's molting time. . .
We have a small coop and haven't extended our run yet. We were planning on adding two pullets next summer as well, but if we add her we won't have the space.

I'm open to opinions and advice. One of my kids just wants to save her. I wanted another chicken for winter coop warmth and this is easy. Lol.

It almost sounds as if she was a 'spent' production layer who escaped while on the way to slaughter. If you had the space, it would be great to save her, but it is unlikely that she will be a prolific layer. Do you know anyone else who might give her a home ?

That's what I think too, which would mean she had antibiotics and might not have anything. There were a couple of people who offered as well.

With the beak cutting being done she probably didn't come from a good environment, who knows how she would react to normal chicken life. I can't really give you the best advice because I did recently take in a hobo chicken and it hasn't been troublesome but it's been weird. Mine was just a pullet and hadn't been in too bad of a situation just basically running wild eating junk food. If you did keep her I would
definitely separate her for quite a while.

I took in a few girls that had their beaks so severely cut they will never be normal again, as well as broken wings/cut wings that will never be normal again. Some were bone thin. Most were blind in one eye, plus. Their feathers --- if they had them (some were only wearing string bikinis when they came here) --- nearly or all white.

The birds didn't look healthy enough or worth the time to harvest. BUT, I gave them a chance.

I put them in quarantine, treated for coccidious and worms. Talked to the vet about the raspy/wierd noises they made. He said probably permanent damage from life before Happy Ranch. As a precaution, I had them tested for Avian Flu and a bunch of other stuffs.

They are my BEST layers. The most reliable, most dependable egg laying flock. Their combs and wattles have turned a healthy red in most girls. They molted and look much better in their BROWN winter wear.

The most scrawniest, most pathetic looking girls are the most faithful layers. They never did fatten up like their sisters, but oh well.

I was blessed that I had the space, the patience, the resources, and the belief that the girls should have some comfort in their last days. (Turns out their last days are a bit further down the road than previously thought...)

Be careful to consider all pieces of this situation. Others have brought up very good points.

Whatever you decide to do, be ok with it.

Back
Top Bottom