1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding another hen..

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by StuartLee, Jul 23, 2011.

1. StuartLee

StuartLee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    I have four chickens, two Roos but they are being given a new home next week, prob is when I was in the pet shop I saw a chicken breed I'd wanted for ages. I bought her home with the advise of the pet shop they might have a bit of a fight to start with but all four seem to chase and peck at the new one.

Any advise please?

Cheers Stu

2. mississippifarmboy

mississippifarmboy collects slightly damaged strays Premium Member

It's common for any new chicken to get bullied. If you are able, putting the new one in a cage or something for a few days where they can see each other but not get to each other so they can get used to the new bird might help. Then I would put them together and watch closely for a while. They will have to establish a new "pecking order" but if they aren't hurting each other they will all settle in after a few days.

Good luck.

3. StuartLee

StuartLee Out Of The Brooder

Jul 2, 2011
    She was in the bedding area of the coop, the one roo went up no problem, then the other three went up there was a bit of squawking and the new one came running down the ramp..
    I've made a shelter in the bottom part of the coop with a hole only big enough for her to get in. Hopefully they will get along soon, I hate it when you think your doing right buying another and it all turns out bad [​IMG]
    Feel sorry for the poor hen, she a lovely little thing, just layer an egg while we were in the shop...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by