Adding another roo to my flock, is this a bad idea?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by TheCorgiGirl, Aug 24, 2014.

1. TheCorgiGirl

TheCorgiGirl Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2014
    Weir, KS
    Okay, hello everyone!

So, here is the story: my boyfriend's parents went a little chicken buying crazy a few months back and bought way too many. They got four pairs of beautiful banty roo and hens, but unfortunaly put them all together in a small cage. I personally dislile caging chickens.
    Anyway, one roo decided to kill off one of the others and maimed another. Now the two survivers besides himself are paired each with two females while he was stuck in a tiny cage on his own.
    Felling bad for the little guy, i asked if they wanted me to take him to my house since i have a rather diverse group of my own free-range chickens. Thwy told me sure cause he is too small and young to butcher otherwise.
    So, i took him home tonight and sat him in a cage in the barn with my flock of 26 hickens.
    the barn is open front, so they go in and out even with the gate shut, as they please.

So, back to the reason I am posting.

So far, out of my own 3 banty roos and 2 austrolorp/americana roos, i havent had any problems with killing or fighting. They chase each other and bicker over food, but not much else.also they are about 4-5 months old.

I feel that most of the reason they get along is because they get to free-roam all they want on my property and use the barn when they feel like it/at night. I always see them in thier own little groups.

So, do you think this new little (maybe 3-4 month old?) Roo is going to get along with my flock, or try to kill/ be killed?

I feel like most of his problem was the confinment with three other roos before.

Of course i am going to keep him seperated for a day or two tk let them get the feel of him around. I am hoping they treat him like a low ranker, and since my boys and girls are a mix of banty breeds and large fowl, he will be shown his place if need be.

So, does this sound reasonable, or do yoy think I'm wasting my time?thanks!

2. TheCorgiGirl

TheCorgiGirl Out Of The Brooder

May 20, 2014
    Weir, KS
    Update from this morning:
    before i went to school this morning i sat the little guy out in a bigger cage under a tree with fresh water. As soon as my flock saw they raced out to meet the new guy.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

he really is a pretty little guy. He squacks like a hen when I go to grab him though! I think I'm gonna' call him "sissy".

He got a little flighty, tried to escape, but instantly wanted to start scratching and pecking the ground. I was so excited for him!

Anyway, everyone was really interested. Some of the girls wanted a good look. All my boys were pretty docile. They fluffed those necks and had stare-downs, but that was pretty much the end of it.

One of my boys (who will be culled when the weather cools down) is giving me trouble though, by trying to flog the little guy through the wire every five seconds.

So anyway, I'm gonna let him out tomorrow and see how he does now that initiation is over with.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by