Adding another rooster- Problem need advice

Minky

Crowing
6 Years
Nov 4, 2017
Ontario
Ok, so my breeding season is over, and I've opened my pens and let all hens out (leaving their roosters in their breeding pen). My "main" rooster is a crested cream Leg bar, called "Jeffo". He is a short but handsome guy, not aggressive, but tends to be not as protective and "manly" as I would like. More interested in eyeing up the roosters that are stuck in the breeding pens than watching over his ladies. Although his fertility is good, I do have 35 hens now, running around in the forest. We have an active fox den within 100 feet of the coop and house, with 3 kits -my kids watch them all day long- so cute. Its been there each spring and so far we have not had issues--- but I think its because I have goats and they can be rambunctious.

ANYWAYS.... last week, I thought it was a good time to introduce another rooster to see how he would work with Jeffo. I chose my Black Copper Marans rooster Firestorm. He is big, but not aggressive. He treated his ladies well.

Well... it was about 4 pm when I opened the door (they had been able to see each other through the chicken wire for months). Jeffo chased Firestorm around the barn twice, out the door and up into the forest. Firestorm ran and ran... Jeffo stood and watched. That was the last I saw of my BCM rooster. He never came back at sunset, or dawn- even with all 7 roosters crowing loudly.... he could've easily found his way back... we have no neighbours within eye sight... but you can hear the roosters... then 2 days later it snowed and temp dropped from t-shirt weather to snow man building (7 inches!!) in one day.... so I am assuming he is gone gone gone.

ANYWAYS.... I have several roosters to choose from.
One is huge (cuckoo Marans) and will be too big and heavy for my hens. He's out.
One is a CLB mix (Jeffo's son) he is kinda ugly- he will be soup.
One is a Lavender Orpington who I think I will either keep and breed again next year, or trade for a Welsummer rooster, so he's out.
Then I have a nervous 5 month old olive egger- he is too immature.

So that leaves me with a 5 month old handsome wyandotte mix (Jeffo's son also).
And Rusty, my 3 year old barnyard mix. He is calm and handsome and nice to the ladies... he's been without any hens for 2 years though..... in a rooster pen. I think he is the one I want to use. He is a nice medium size, has HUGE spurs and would fight to the death for the ladies. Also, I think being older, he has some experience.

With 35 hens and 15 more pullets in the grow out pen (I am aiming for a flock of 35 by October) but with foxes and coyotes around... do you think I should have 3 roosters???? I could introduce Rusty and no name Wyandotte mix at the same time..... I dont want them all to be chased away into the forest to get eaten or die of cold... so- how shall I introduce them? should I put them all 3 into a pen together away form the hens first?? Then let them all out again together after a week or two of "bonding /fighting" . I really dont want to stress out my hens too much.

Advice please.

Shall I pen them together? Add one at a time? both ? Should I lock up the hens and let those 3 free range for a few days together without the hens?
Give me some ideas.

Thanks!

I think 3 roosters is a good number for that many hens and your predator situation. Could you put your 3 roosters in the rooster pen together? Maybe do a week of separating them from each other and then introduce them without the hens. Then another week and let them in with the hens. They will still probably fight at that time but hopefully not much.

It’s an interesting problem for sure, I hope you find a good solution.

I would be upset if I lost my one rooster my CCLB. I have only one of him and he is needed. I think I will let my other two roosters who seem to get along be my free ranging roosters. Rusty is 3 and was born here on the farm. He’s been top dog, and then was ousted from his throne by Snowman, who was later turned into soup. But by then Rusty was in the rooster pen. I am not sure how this will work but I do t think after a year of being the only rooster, my CCLB is NOT going to want to share his ladies. I’d rather pen him then have weeks of death- fights and stressed out hens with no eggs.

Then keep him and get rid of the rest.
Do you have CCLB hens too?
yes, I do have CLB hens and then a small flock of blue egg laying CLB mixes, which lay much bluer than the CLB hens.
I dont want to "get rid" of anyone. Too many predators. Need my roos.

then a small flock of blue egg laying CLB mixes, which lay much bluer than the CLB hens
Sounds cool.
What are they mixed with?

I dont want to "get rid" of anyone. Too many predators. Need my roos.
Well, then you might have to house them separately and range on alternate days.
Might be good for any breeding plans anyway.

Advice please.

Shall I pen them together? Add one at a time? both ? Should I lock up the hens and let those 3 free range for a few days together without the hens?
Give me some ideas.
I just came to see if you got a good answer to this problem as it will be a problem for me in future too. New territory for me, most people wouldn't keep additional roosters as they just eat too much so to me you are already more experienced having a rooster pen but I think every situation is uniquely different, every cockerel will behave differently.
I have the same concerns though, do I introduce them all together in future, do I introduce the males alone first to sort out their issues and then add the rest? How to best introduce them without having issues? Is there a good answer to these questions?
I think your approach to letting them sort it out free-ranging seems like a bad approach as one never came back again. So next time try having them see each other for a while first like you did, but then introduce them caged and supervise them. As long as they don't kill each other, at least one won't be able to run off but I am in the same boat wondering what is best.

If you have a rooster you need for breeding, or value in any other way, I would suggest not letting them out to free range. Especially with a family of fox living right there. A rooster is no match for a fox. He’s more likely just to be the first to get eaten.

As far as putting two adult roosters - especially ones that have been separated for a time is almost always (really I want to just say “always”, but there are exceptions on occasion) going to be a problem. Just like putting two bulls in a pasture of cows in season, or stallions with mares, the roosters are going to be too busy competing and fighting to mate with the hens to actually protect them. They don’t understand the concept of teamwork.

Sounds cool.
What are they mixed with?

Well, then you might have to house them separately and range on alternate days.
Might be good for any breeding plans anyway.
they are mixed with my blue laying Easter Eggers. They look almost identical to CLB, just much much bluer eggs

Back
Top Bottom