Adding Another Set of Chicks To The Clan - Issues?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by BC Chickens, Apr 21, 2011.

1. BC Chickens

BC Chickens Out Of The Brooder

Apr 1, 2011
    Hey all,

We've got 6 GCs that are about a week old in the brooder. It's a large dog crate about 28" x 40" (see our page) and they seem very happy in there (no aggressive pecking at each other, etc). Our next set of 6 chicks (BOs) are due to arrive in a few days so the two sets will be about a week to a week and a half apart in age. Anyone see any issues in putting these two groups together? We've got tons of dog crates so it would not be too big a deal to make another brooder if we had to, but I kinda already have enough projects around here [​IMG]

2. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    It's always best to merge flocks when everybody is the same size. I think your newest group will be at a disadvantage, but it's worth a try. Just keep a watchful eye. Good luck.

3. 2many2count

2many2count Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2010
    Illinois
    We did that last year and had no issues at all. The younger ones caught up in no time to the others and you lost track of which ones where what age. I would say as long as your space, waterer, and feeder are large enough to take care of em...put em in there.
    And if your ever in the need for a new project give me a call I seem to always have a few extra laying around [​IMG]

4. BC Chickens

Apr 1, 2011
    Quote:Thanks - if we can get the new chicks in there early enough in the day, we'll be able to see if we need to move the new guys out and still have time to run out and get another lamp reflector, etc. Maybe we'll just play soothing music and they'll all just fall asleep together [​IMG]

5. BC Chickens

Apr 1, 2011
    Quote:There always seems to be an endless supply of projects around here, but in the unlikely event I ever suddenly run out, you'll be the first one I call....after my travel agent [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by