adding artifical light during molt

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by yomama, Oct 3, 2011.

1. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

Hey there,
    I normally have a light on a timer for my coops that gives them a total of 13-14 hours of light, when combined with natural daylight. Due to having surgery this summer, and alot of complications from the post surgery meds, I haven't been out taking care of the chickens, like I normally do. My daughters and husband have. They have been doing a great job, but of course, just doing what needs to be done, not really observing and seeing if anything is "off". Anyway, I have noticed that the egg production had slowed down, and my some of my hens are going into a molt. I also noticed the other day that their lights weren't turning on. The extension cord was damaged. Not sure how long ago this happened. I do know that I have never had my hens go through this big of a molt before. Probably because they normally had the 13 - 14 hours of light, maybe that tamed the molt down a little? I don't know. My question is, with my hens going through a molt, is it going to cause any problems if I went ahead and set their lights back up to go on so that they get the 13 - 14 hours of light again? Since I normally keep a light for them, I really don't want them to get used to not having a light. And since I sell the eggs, I don't want egg production to drastically slow down, or cease, during winter. I would say they are getting about 9 - 10 hourse of natural daylight right now, and it is only going to get shorter.
    Thanks for any advice!

2. Sore Thumb Suburbanite

Sore Thumb Suburbanite Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    orange county
    I would like to know about this too, In the duck forum we have had a few posts about this and I have one duck going through moult during the extended artificial light sequence for the benefit of the other laying ducks.

3. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

My question is, with my hens going through a molt, is it going to cause any problems if I went ahead and set their lights back up to go on so that they get the 13 - 14 hours of light again? Since I normally keep a light for them, I really don't want them to get used to not having a light. And since I sell the eggs, I don't want egg production to drastically slow down, or cease, during winter. I would say they are getting about 9 - 10 hourse of natural daylight right now, and it is only going to get shorter.
    Thanks for any advice!

Shouldn't cause any problems at all. It won't stop the molt. You can up the protein in their diet to help them refeather.

Good luck,

Imp​

4. yomama

yomama Overrun With Chickens

Thanks so much! I figured it would be ok, just didn't want to really screw up any "internal clock". I know, unfortunately, it won't stop their molt, but maybe it will help speed it up. If not, no biggie. Can't fight nature! [​IMG]
    Thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by