Adding Babies....Questions

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CypressValleySouthern, Aug 28, 2010.

1. CypressValleySouthern

CypressValleySouthern In the Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Driftwood, Texas
    So I have 10 almost 3 week old Brahmas already out in the big coop. Texas weather made it great to put them out already. They went out at 2 weeks. Then my ds and dh started with the chicken math..[​IMG]....We have 10, DS wanted to get a couple of ducks, DH approved..even said he'd pay for them. [​IMG]

As anyone know how chicken math works...can't just order 2 ducks you have to make minimum. I ordered from ideal since they are close to me. Got ds 4 ducks and still "needed" to add 3 jersey giants to make a full order..

Now the question. The new babies get here this week.....exactly 3 weeks after the first babies. I will put them in the brooder in the house for a week , and then start putting them in the outside brooder for 30 - 45 mins in the evening to get them out in the grass area. When can I put them in the big coop?

I don't have the run done yet. The post holes will be dug this week and hopefully the run will be done within a couple of weeks depending on funding. [​IMG]

2. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Songster

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    i dont think duckling and chickes can be housed together(adults can but iv seen post saying babies cant), an im gessing since there both young it will be easyer to intruduce them but the new babys will be smaller and you will need to watch for fighting

3. Kittymomma

Kittymomma Songster

Sep 9, 2009
    Olympia, WA
    I've done ducks and chicks together, it's a pain because the ducks get everything wet but it can be done. You need to use non-medicated feed though because the medicated is not good for the ducks. Also do a search for duck waterers, the yogurt containers with a hole cut high on the side or lid helps a lot--I put aquarium gravel in the bottom to help keep it upright. The chicks will still need a reg. waterer and the ducks will make a mess of it, but if you put it in an old pie tin it will be easier to keep things kind of dry. I've also found that pine pellets work better for me then the shavings, not a dusty and they absorb more water which is good with ducklings.

4. CypressValleySouthern

CypressValleySouthern In the Brooder

Aug 24, 2010
    Driftwood, Texas
    The ducks will have a separate coop. My son is building that one on his own.

I just didn't know if since they chicks are only 3 weeks apart how soon could i put them together.

5. VioletandBodie

VioletandBodie Songster

Aug 11, 2010
    port
    once little guys get big enough to defend them selfs they can probably be introduced

6. Tigerjane

Tigerjane Songster

Jun 17, 2010
    Pflugerville, TX
    For the chicks, I've read to let them see each other for a week or so (kept in different pens), and then to wait on physically introducing them until everyone is of similar size (because smaller ones will be picked on). Some recommendations I've read are to do the first physical introduction while everyone's free-ranging (so they're distracted), or at night to slip the newbies into the coop and when they wake up in the morning it's like they were always together. Again, this is just what I've read - I haven't had to do the blending yet myself [​IMG]

7. Muggsmagee

Muggsmagee Menagerie Mama

Dec 15, 2009
    Central NY
    3 weeks can be a big difference, but not significant enough to worry. If you can expose them to the rest by putting them in a cage in the open/or in the coop for a few days...that would be a great introduction. More likely the young ones will stick together once released, and the others will likely push them around a bit, but they will find a balance. Just keep an eye on them, and use good judgement. I have 6 2month old lav ameraucanas in with 6 month old various hens and roos. They've been together for a month with no problems.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by