Adding Bantams to a standard flock???

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Sseckel, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Sseckel

Sseckel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2013
    Homestead, IA
    I currently have 2 heavy breed hens, an Americauna and a black sex link. I am wanting to add some new hens to my flock, my daughter loves the idea of possibly getting a silky bantam or two. I am fine with getting bantams but there are a few concerns I have. Firstly, are they going to get picked on by my older hens more than a new standard hen would? Also we live in town and we let them free range when we are outside. My two heavies cant fly, but could a bantam? My neighbors are all cool with me having chickens but I think that would change if I had to start chasing hens out of their yards. We have a 4' fence, my heavies can hop onto it if they really want but generally they are happy to stay in our yard. I know I could clip their wings but I am a softy and unless I only trim the flight feathers I don't think I could do a more permanent form of flight prevention. I am also building a new coop this spring so mayne if there is a way to build them a safe zone or something? Any suggestions or experience is welcome. Thanks!

2. tlcarnes2176

tlcarnes2176 Chillin' With My Peeps

I have standard chickens(37) and 2 silkies that were raised together. My silkies are not picked on at all. Silkies are a good breed to for you because they can not fly. Their feathers are more like hair or silk. I hope I answered at least some of your questions. Let me know if I can help you anymore. I'm sure others will help you out also. Good luck!

3. Sseckel

Oct 20, 2013
    Homestead, IA
    Thank you for your input everyone. Here is my next delema, it appears I may have waited too long to order. Since I can only have 4 hens under my permit (I already have 2) where can I do a small order of chicks? I know I can't have 2 shipped for safety and I am willing to find homes with local flocks for a few extra to keep my chicks warm in shipping but I can't find homes for a dozen chicks. My local Theisen's store always has chicks in the spring, but I really doubt they have silkies or sizzles. Does anyone have experience trying to order through a farm store? Or what are some hatcheries that will do a small shipment or let me pick them up at the hatchery? I live in eastern Iowa.

4. Sseckel

Oct 20, 2013
    Homestead, IA
    bump

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by