Adding bantams to established full size flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Mo'sMenagerie, Jan 21, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Mo'sMenagerie

Mo'sMenagerie In the Brooder

Oct 16, 2018
    Hood River, OR
    So I've now read that adding bantams to an established flock can work and can NOT work. Curious what you all out there think about my situation: My established flock consists of 6 total, including 1 very nice Roo (a Blue Laced Wyondotte), 1 Blue Laced Wyondotte (hen), 1 Buckeye, 1 Dark Brahma, 1 Australorp and 1 Americauna. I really am after having more "pet like" chickens who, as bonus, lay me and my partner delicious eggs. They are confined to a small yard (approx 1000sqft) for a portion of the day and then free range for a few hours out in the orchard we live on. We have plenty of room in the coop for more, and I am wanting to add 2 Mille Fleurs, 2 Cochin bantams and 1 full size Wellsummer in April. By the end of the year we will be living on a new piece of property where they will get to roam 5 acres all day :) But the new chicks would have to be integrated with the existing flock, in our existing situation, for a few months before the move takes place. Any help or comments would be greatly appreciated!

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Chicken tender

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Please don't mix them, especially with a large rooster. Bantams are more gentle and they go broody often which can cause the more active standard breeds to bully them.

It can work, but it's better not to especially with those two bantam breeds. Set up a separate coop for them if want them.

I personally keep 2 separate flocks that mingle in a common area. I'm always thankful my bantams can fall back to their coop and run when the bigger birds are chasing and harassing them.

3. Rusticwool

Rusticwool Chirping

Aug 12, 2018
    Tennessee
    I have bantams in with my standard flock with a large rooster and everyone does just fine! Everything is very harmonious in the run, my NN has actually “adopted” them as her babies ( they’re the same age!) and has them roost under her wings. My rooster is a SLW and a gentleman but if he wasn’t, he couldn’t catch the bantam gals if he wanted to. They are faster and much better flyers!

4. Shorty22366

Shorty22366 Songster

Jan 1, 2018
    Hobgood, North Carolina
    I have bantams with my larger flock and they all get along fine. My bigger rooster, Olaf a favorella protects my bantams from rest of the flock. He is great with the little ones.

Mo'sMenagerie likes this.
  5. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

I think the best thing when having bantams with a large flock is add some areas that are high up. I can't remember how well my cochin bantams flew, but d'uccle (which I guess is the breed when you say Mille Fleurs, but that is just a color) flew very well. Most of your standard poultry are not agile fliers.

When I had my bantams with my standards the bantams would just hang out on the higher levels of my coop.

I did worry that they were maybe bullied from the main feeder so put a small feeder up high in addition and that worked well.

Rusticwool and CSAchook like this.
  6. Mo'sMenagerie

Oct 16, 2018
    Hood River, OR
    I appreciate everyone weighing in. This is certainly a "toughie." I would love to add bantams, and it does sound like they can do fine with a standard flock, but that sometimes they do not. Having places to perch up high seems essential. I really love my birds, and when they get stressed out I FEEL it. It would make me so sad to have them stressed. Although I bet my roo would care for them like he does the rest of his flock...
    I love hearing the stories of how one of the other chickens adopted them and let them roost under her wings :)

Rusticwool likes this.
  7. Mo'sMenagerie

Oct 16, 2018
    Hood River, OR
    Thank you for this! Really made me smile

Rusticwool likes this.
  8. Mo'sMenagerie

Oct 16, 2018
    Hood River, OR
    Thank you for the thoughtful reply. I'm giving this decision a very hard consideration.

9. Mo'sMenagerie

Oct 16, 2018
    Hood River, OR
    Thank you!

Alaskan likes this.
  10. yickenscarf23

yickenscarf23 Chirping

Oct 24, 2018
    Indiana
    I just added a banty cochin roo with my full size girls and they all cuddle at night. Fought for the first two days but got over it pretty quick. No injuries or anything dramatic happened.

Mo'sMenagerie likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: