Adding Birds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BarredRocks3, Nov 16, 2013.

1. BarredRocks3

BarredRocks3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    Hello BYC,

I have a four months old ameraucana cross, rooster. We got him a week from today and the flock does not except him at all. He lives "happily" in a small coop but, he seems lonely. There will be a local chicken swap coming up next week, should I get him a friend or two (both hens or hen from a different flock) ? My theory is that three new birds equals new friends. Maybe? And then he won't be so lonely and his group will join the flock. Right?

Thank you,
    Lucien

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    you dont mention if your old flock has a roo already? yes it is a lot easier to add three new one instead of one. picking them up at a swap though, dont forget about illness and keeping them seperate for a while

3. BarredRocks3

BarredRocks3 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 1, 2013
    New Hampshire
    My current flock has no rooster. Should I still get him a buddy?

4. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    no, i thought that would be why they didnt like him. so i am a little suprised they didnt accept him. its usually the roo that fight they should have welcomed him. maybe they were fighting over him.haha so what i said before still stands, easier to add 3 then 1.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by