Adding chickens to my flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by marcy0718, Sep 1, 2016.

1. marcy0718

marcy0718 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2016
    Florida
    I HAVE 4 [email protected] 6 months old all laying hens.I wanted to add 2 lavender americaunas to my flock same age maybe a little older and same size I have 2 black sex links 1 silver laced wyandotte and 1 buff Brahma now do you think they will get along after I block them off a couple weeks to get aquainted? Please any help would be wonderful my black sex link is my favorite but defineatelly at the top if pecking order she's a bossy clucker.[​IMG]

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Lots of Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    You will have to pen them next to each other for quite a while. At that age any older birds will be seen as intruders. There will be fighting. I personally would plan on separate housing for a few months while allowing them to range together. Of course every integration is different. Most times it's try something and see how it works out, than try something else until you find what works for your situation.

3. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yeah, a look no touch is best if your new to Chickens...I really never bother anymore...I toss them in and watch as they free range..Two hours later I put them all in the coop and run...Size of your coop and run play a big part in the introduction though...
    Places for the new birds to hide and perch away from the old flock..Chickens are mean...

4. marcy0718

Mar 18, 2016
    Florida
    Well maybe its not a good idea I could do that but my chicken s don t free range since I live in the city but I have a tractor supy big barn coop inside a 15 foot enclosure with roofing and predator proof 1/4 inch hardware cloth trench around whole thing 3 feet down outside also and have PRI act fence.[​IMG]

5. marcy0718

Mar 18, 2016
    Florida
    [​IMG]
    This is my sex link the bossy one but so beautiful and runs to me wants to b held so this might be the mean one lol

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That coop is barely big enough for the 4 chickens you have......I would not add 2 more.

Run is nice tho, solid roof for rain protection and easy climate (except maybe when the sun is beating down thru that clear roof).....so maybe.

Read up on integration..... BYC advanced search>titles only>integration
    This is good place to start reading:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

7. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Yeah, your run and coop is not big enough for more hens....I would keep the four you have and enjoy them...Adding more birds to a small area will not give you the results your wanting..
    Decision is totally yours...

8. marcy0718

Mar 18, 2016
    Florida
    Thanks for the advice the roof is smokey and I do have a tarp on it we just had lots of storms so It was off in this picture.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by