Adding chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by tdgill, Jan 19, 2010.

1. tdgill

tdgill Chillin' With My Peeps

k, still thinking about adding to my flock. tempted to try and add pullets so the boys don't have to wait so long, but can only have so many and raising chicks was rewarding. I am also debating how to add who to what. I have two roos each with his own set of girls. Not sure if I want to add to each flock, or combine my current girls into one flock (thinking less fighting since they know each other but do pecking order whenever I try to combine them) and give these to the sub or dom roo and get the new girls as one flock for the other. Or should I keep them as they are. The only reason I am thinking of adding is really for the sake of the hens. But my roos have a favorite anyway so maybe more hens won't make a difference at all? Im thinking its gotta help. My hens have saddles and are doing well. Just thinking they might be overused. lol. or should I just separate them from the roos for a time? i prefer them to be together tho....any thoughts?

2. tdgill

guess I will go search some more and see how you all did it. lol.

3. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Get more chickens.

What else are we all going to tell you!!!!?

4. KKatknap

KKatknap Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    [​IMG]

I have no advice on how to divvy them up - all I can suggest is that you quarantine them first for 30 days or more. Also, after the quarantine time, introducing them to the flock goes more smoothly if they have a pen nearby first, where they can see/hear each other before mixing them in. There's a good article about it somewhere on here. I'll try to find it and post a link.

5. tdgill

Quote:I have read that about quarantine first and then keeping nearby. Funny, as much as my two flocks are close together now, the hens still act like retards if they are all out together. Not harmfully so, but definately going outa their way to chase one or another. But thinking that the boys have their favorites and are attached to the girls they have ...maybe i should add to each flock as they are.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  6. KKatknap

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
  7. KKatknap

Nov 15, 2009
    Albany, OR
    Quote:I think that's what I would do, too.

8. tdgill

that was a cool link thanks!

it is exactly what I see now when I put my hens together. Its the lower ranked girls that start the trouble. It does look like, "finally someone I can pick on!" I've experimented putting them together just to watch the antics. Their social (or antisocial) behavior is definately interesting.

9. cook_kaka_ook

cook_kaka_ook Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2009
  10. tdgill

thanks!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by