adding chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by the2chickens, Sep 4, 2014.

1. the2chickens

the2chickens New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    Hi I am new to this site I was just wondering if I could add another hen to my other 2 chickens they are around 25 weeks and the coop is suitable for 2-4 birds they stay in the coop just at night and have 14 hours everyday walking around the garden! Thankyou

2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi :welcome. Glad you joined the flock. Be sure to ask lots of questions every one very friendly and informative. What a lovely idea on adding more to your flock I don't think that would be problem as your coop suitable and they have plenty of garden time. Good luck with your growing flock. I would also ask in the managing your flock section for advice on integrating a new hen. https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/2/managing-your-flock

Last edited: Sep 4, 2014
  3. the2chickens

the2chickens New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    @Yorkshire coop I know I'm getting the chicken fever I can't stop buying them so my coop is big enough for 3 birds now my chickens the 2 I have now we're brought from the same pen do I ring the farm up where I purchased them from and see if it would be ok to add another hen

4. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Sounds a good idea to me as you already have birds from there you will know what you are getting and what sort of start to life they have already had I would still do some quarantine time with your new bird just to make sure. After that time I have found adding new birds to flock easiest by putting the new one onto the perch in the coop at bed time when every one is quiet. Then monitor them to make sure everyone is getting on. You will probably find though they will establish a new pecking order with the new introduction in with them this process can be quite enlightening into the world of chicken behaviour !!! Post a hi in the new member intro to say hi to the rest of the flock. Good luck post some pics of your flock. :cd https://www.backyardchickens.com/f/44/new-member-introductions

5. the2chickens

the2chickens New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    How do I quarantine the chicken I'm only getting 1 so I have 3 cause I only have 1 coop!

6. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi if you have no where to quarantine just put the bird in the coop at bedtime with the others that's what I would do you know where the bird has come from. But don't you think that's a good excuse to ad another coop. That's the type of thing I tell my other half.:lau that way I get to have more birds.:weeehttp://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=2593-adding-to-your-flock

7. the2chickens

the2chickens New Egg

Sep 4, 2014
    Haha lol ok I'll do that I'll look for a wireless camera

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by