Adding chicks of the same age to existing flock

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickgals, Mar 17, 2013.

1. chickgals

chickgals Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2013
    Texas

I currently have 10 chicks. 6 standard size hens that are 6 weeks old tomorrow, and 4 bantam hens that are 5 weeks old. Breakdown of breeds : barred rock, Wyndotes ,amerucana ,silkies ,
    Columbian Wyandotte ,blue laced red Wyandotte. We would like to add 2 lavender orpingtons that are 5 weeks as well. I've read the thread with grown birds, and the risks, is this the same for chicks? Help! We would love to have them, but is it worth the worry and headache? Any info is greatly appreciated! Thank you so very much![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    Introductions while they are young usually are easier then adults. A period of introduction through a wire partition is the best way. They will have their pecking order to settle, but it is usually milder then adults.

3. chickgals

chickgals Out Of The Brooder

Jan 10, 2013
    Texas
    [RIGHT[/RIGHT]
    Thank you for your advice. We placed them in a wire crate to introduce. The others paid very little attention to the newbies. We let the two new girls out and sat in the coop over an hour observing. Not one nasty look, sound or peck. We left with everyone piled on each other fast asleep. We love our new Lavender Orpingtons Violet and Ella:)

4. jackhorn01

jackhorn01 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2012
    Logansport, Louisiana
    Let them grow for an extended period of time through the wire to really get used to each other. I currently have 7 chicks that just came outta the brooder yesterday. What I did was stretch out some poultry netting to make an area for them. I started in the coop and sectioned them off a little square and then came out into the run with it and fenced them off a nice seized area. They will grow up in their actual coop and it was very cheap, just hammered wood stakes in the ground and tacked the netting to it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by