1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding chicks to established hen house

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by NewbyJan, Sep 26, 2011.

1. NewbyJan

NewbyJan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    Littleborough
    We already have a white sussex hen who is now our only laying hen left having suffered a few fatalities. We would like to raise some chicks but wondering can we put them in with the Sussex. Will she look after them or attack them? She is generally a very pleasant natured and friendly hen and "talks" to you whenever you are nearby.

2. chefchick

chefchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    when we combined ours, we had the smaller ones in a cage inside the coop with the bigger ones, and their run was adjacent to the others so they could see each other without any contact. Ours are only 8 weeks apart, so we didn't have to do it for long before they could all live together. (I was advised to wait until they are close in size, though) there was a little bit of chasing and a lot of pecking for a couple days, but then they were fine.

3. RonB

RonB Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Woodinville
    I wouldn't put the chicks in with her yet. I have added lots of chickens to my flock over the last two years. but I wait until they are close to the same size

4. NewbyJan

NewbyJan Out Of The Brooder

Sep 26, 2010
    Littleborough
    I am now thinking about taking some ex battery hens and putting them with the Sussex. Any thoughts on how this could go? I don't want them to attack the Sussex we have left and I don't want her getting mad at the intruders in her house. At the same time I don't think she will happily live alone. help!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by