1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding chicks to established hens

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChicksRFun, Jan 30, 2011.

1. ChicksRFun

ChicksRFun Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    Hello! I have 3 Barred Rock hens that will be 1 year old in March. I will be getting 4 Plymouth Rock chicks, of different colors, in Feb. I am concerned abouot when it comes time for me to put the chicks (which will be at least 2 months old or older) out with my hens if they will get along or is there something I should do first before just adding new chickens? My sister in law had 4 Rhode Island Reds and when they tried to add their new Barred Rock chicks, the Rhode Islands picked on them brutally so they had to seperate them until they were big enough to be able to defend themselves a little. I am in the understanding that Rhode Islands can be more territorial than Plymouth Rocks...so I am not sure my chickens will react the same way, but I don't want any of my chicks/chickens to be harmed either! Any advice or information would help a lot. Thank you [​IMG]

2. ChicksRFun

ChicksRFun Out Of The Brooder

May 14, 2010
    Oh no..I think I am in the wrong forum for this topic!! I don't know how to delete my post. Sorry guys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by