Adding chicks to flock 2nd coop

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by jstp, May 9, 2016.

1. jstp

jstp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2015
    Have an existing coop that is suitable for 6-9 chicks. Started with 6 last year but re-homed a roo and lost one to hawk last week. Was going to add 3 chicks but rescued 3 in addition. Built a second coop that will house 6 though a little smaller. Should I move the 4 to the smaller coop? They will share a run eventually just needed additional roosting space.

2. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    Personally, I'd leave the 4 where they are.

CT

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    How big (feet by feet) are these coops?
    How old are the chicks?

You could switch them as you propose....best bet would be a coop that will house them all.
    Sharing a run...eventually they'll all try to roost in one coop.

4. jstp

jstp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2015
    The existing coop is 4' x 6', 5 nesting boxes. The original flock is just now 1 yr old.

5. jstp

jstp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2015
    The new coop is a bit smaller. Definitely not room for 10.

6. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    4x6 is good for 4 birds...maybe 6.
    ......and you only need 2 nests for 6 birds, so maybe open up the others to extend the space a bit.

7. Chickeggdiction

Chickeggdiction Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2016
    Alabama
    I have a 4*6 coop with just two nesting boxes, you may consider modifying to reduce the amount of nesting boxes. My four seem to use the same box each time.

8. jstp

jstp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2015
    Great advice. Why didn't I think of that?!

9. jstp

jstp Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2015
    Chicks are 13 weeks and are now integrated with the big girls. They were separated for 4 weeks, got to look at each other and free range under supervision over the the past couple of weeks. Chicks need starter feed for another few weeks. How do I ensure they are not getting what they need nutritionally? Separate them again for a few weeks?

10. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    My Feeding Notes: I like to feed a flock raiser/grower/finisher 20% protein crumble to all ages and genders, as non-layers(chicks, males and molting birds) do not need the extra calcium that is in layer feed and chicks and molters can use the extra protein. Makes life much simpler to store and distribute one type of chow that everyone can eat. I do grind up the crumbles (in the blender) for the chicks for the first week or so.

The higher protein crumble also offsets the 8% protein scratch grains and other kitchen/garden scraps I like to offer. I adjust the amounts of other feeds to get the protein levels desired with varying situations.

Calcium should be available at all times for the layers, I use oyster shell mixed with rinsed, dried, crushed chicken egg shells in a separate container.

Animal protein (mealworms, a little cheese - beware the salt content, meat scraps) is provided during molting and if I see any feather eating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by