1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

ADDING CHICKS TO OTHER HENS?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by tamemeg, Mar 30, 2009.

1. tamemeg

tamemeg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Hi, I have 7RIR hens, 1 bantum hen and 2 bantum roosters, they are all about a year old and are laying wonderful eggs. :) I just got 27 new chicks of various breeds, not sure what they are yet, but they are all hens, they are 3 & 4 weeks old. We got them yesterday, my DH built a nice brooder in the chicken coop that keeps them safe and sound, and the other chickens can't get at them. My question is: At what age can I add the new chicks to the older chickens???
    Thanks,
    Pam

2. old mill poultry

old mill poultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    I would not add them til they are around the same size. I don't usually put them together til the chicks are around 4-5 months old or older.

3. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    Heed Old Mills advice. I didn't follow that and ended up with severe injuries in the blink of an eye. I had done it once before without any trouble. Apparently I got lucky the first time and not so lucky this last time. Although all 5 lived I have 1 without a wing and one more who almost lost his wing is still in the "hospital" cage in the living room.

I won't try that again!!!

4. tamemeg

tamemeg Out Of The Brooder

Aug 26, 2008
    Southwestern PA
    Thank you so much for the responses. I figured i'd have to wait till they were 4-6 months old...I just can't remember how long it took them to get the size they are...LOL
    Pam

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by