Adding Diatomaceaous earth to food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by countrysg, Jun 24, 2010.

1. countrysg

countrysg New Egg

Jun 6, 2010
    Is anybody adding DE to your starter mash? On one site I read about adding 5% DE to the feed - I'd like to find out what is working for other folks out there in BYC land...??
    I was planning on adding it: 1) to the feed 2) sprinkling in the bedding and 3) using in a dusting box - should it be all DE or DE mixed with sand in the dusting box??

Thanks for the feedback.
    I hope to post some pics/create a page this week. The girls are finally into the new coop - but it needs to be finished (painted, trimmed out, etc...) then next is finishing their outside enclosure.
    Sharon

2. AngelzFyre

AngelzFyre Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    I've always kept a separate container, (usually a flat rubber feeding pan for horses) filled with DE in the coop and also sprinkle it in the bedding and nest boxes. I have fed it before..but it was to older chickens..not the baby chicks. I felt they picked it up when picking through the bedding for food and didn't put it in the starter.
    When I clean the coop out I put DE down first..then bedding. I sprinkle DE over the bedding after about a week and then anytime I feel it needs it thereafter. Also use it sprinkled over the run area and it really keeps odor and flies down. WEAR A MASK when sprinkling because it is harmful to inhale. I also make sure the chickens are not around wherever I'm putting it for the very same reason. I wait for it to settle, then let them back in. [​IMG]

3. erindubb

erindubb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    I just bought a 10 dollar bag of food grade DE to use for this same reason. IT IS SO LIGHT!! I was so surprised when I picked it up. So, I don't think it will last very long. "Sprinkle" is subjective - how much do I sprinkle? Just wondering how much is too much or how long a bag will last for four chickens?

4. AngelzFyre

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    It depends on the amt they sold you for 10 dollars, search on here and there are a couple of places listed that sell food grade DE at pretty good prices.
    I get the 50lb bag from FreshwaterOrganics.com usually and it lasts a long time for 2 coops of 30+ chickens. You can use a scoop to sprinkle or dump a small pile on coop floor and use a broom to spread it..or stall rake. For nest boxes I usually just use my hand and grab a handful or two and mix in with shavings.
    Anytime I've used it on chickens, I've put it in an old tube sock, tied the end and dusted them with that.
    Hope this helps!

5. countrysg

countrysg New Egg

Jun 6, 2010
    Great guidance! thanks for the ideas :)
    Sharon

6. AngelzFyre

Sep 18, 2007
    Pell City, Alabama
    You're very welcome, and by the way... [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

I meant to say that on my first post..but it was way late and sleepiness was fogging my brain.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by