Adding ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by mjamell, Jun 25, 2016.

1. mjamell

mjamell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2016
    Arkansas
    I'm raising ducks and chickens together. I have 2 ducks and several chickens. I'm pretty sure both of my ducks are male, so I need some females. If I get some ducklings, can I add them to the others at 4 weeks old without the males hurting them?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  2. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee
    4 weeks old is a bit young to put with older males... best to keep them separated but still able to see and hear each other until the ducklings are close to same size as the drakes, otherwise you risk serious injuries...

3. mjamell

mjamell Out Of The Brooder

Apr 20, 2016
    Arkansas
    Ok, that's what I'm concerned about. I'll probably keep them in the garage for 3 weeks or so and then put them in the coop in the brooder box so they can all get acquainted. The ducks I have now are just 3 1/2 months old, not mature but big.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2016
  4. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Before you get Ducklings again, I would try and see if you could find some hens the same age as your Drakes. The introduction would be a lot quicker. I have 3 month old Ducks two standard sized and a Bantam. I just bought a two year old Call hen on Friday night and put her in the Pen Saturday morning. They all acted as if they have lived together all their lives.
    Ducks are easy, its Chickens that are mean.

Best of luck

5. JedTheSaint

JedTheSaint New Egg

Oct 7, 2015
    Centreville, MD
    Along the same lines, I recently got 6 more ducklings. I was free ranging, but lost most of my flock. I was down to 2 ducks from my original flock of 8. After i built a more secure run for them, i decided it was time to get some friends!
    My problem now is that the babies (4 months old at this point) seem to be terrified of everything! I dont know what i did wrong :( up to now, after movig them outside, I've kept the run divided with a short fence. The babies seem to only want to stay in their house and only come out for meals. My two year old Pekins seem to be normal, well adjusted ducks who are constantly foraging when I let them out.
    What do I do? I kinda want to force the issue and kick them out into the world. They're big enough to hold their own against the drake at this point. But, will that do them emmotional harm? :/

6. chickens really

chickens really Overrun With Chickens

Force them out to free range with the other ducks...They will get acquainted with the routine the other ducks have in place.
    They are just shy, if one hesitates they all will. Try it today. You will see that they will follow the lead of the bigger ducks and will happily start foraging. It wont harm them at all, the drake might put them in their place but it wont be as mean as chickens.

7. JedTheSaint

JedTheSaint New Egg

Oct 7, 2015
    Centreville, MD

OK! I'm doing it! Thanks for the quick reply.

8. Ravynscroft

Ravynscroft For the Love of Duck Premium Member

Nov 30, 2014
    Middle Tennessee

Try bribing them out... ducks in the 'teenage phase' do tend to get that scaredy cat attitude... please do be careful, too much fear is never a good thing, especially in any animal... maybe set out some low cover spots like a square board on short legs throughout the open spots... little spots of security can make a big difference...

9. JedTheSaint

JedTheSaint New Egg

Oct 7, 2015
    Centreville, MD
    Ok, I'll keep an eye on them and watch out for stress.

I just shooed them out of the house and into the run. I closed the house doors and left the run open for them to go outside. Hopefully they'll see how happy the big ducks are out there!

1 person likes this.
  10. JedTheSaint

JedTheSaint New Egg

Oct 7, 2015
    Centreville, MD
    Ok, next question. I forgot to mention that i have an African goose that was a surprise addition to my original duckling order. She/he is 2 and grew up with the Pekins. She keeps chasing the new ducks around! I seperated her now, but that cant be a perminate solution.... she's also being very protective of them with me.... :(

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by