Adding ducks to chicken flock

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by toendersfarm, Jun 19, 2019.

1. toendersfarm

toendersfarm Chirping

May 2, 2017
    Hi! We’re planning to add a couple of muscovies to our flock of 6 assorted breed chickens (all hens). I’ve done my research and know what to expect.... messy, feed/water needs, etc. My question is this - should we get 2 males or 2 female ducks? We don’t want fertilized eggs, just pet ducks. And is it best to build them their own pad with their own run, their own pad attached to an existing run, or expand the existing coop/run so they can be with the chickens all the time? Thanks!

2. Newchickenguy84

Newchickenguy84 Chirping

May 15, 2018
    NE TN
    Go with female ducks. Male ducks can hurt or kill chickens if not enough females around.

Brahmachicken240 likes this.
  3. toendersfarm

toendersfarm Chirping

May 2, 2017
    Thanks for your reply! So it’s ok to keep 2 females together? I wondered if it had to be a male/female pair or if I could keep 2 of same sex.

4. Chebird

Chebird Songster

Apr 16, 2019
    Chino Valley, AZ
    I have read that male ducks can kill female chickens if they try to mate with them. I would go with females.

5. Parront

Parront Crowing

Jul 27, 2017
    Prescott, AZ
    I have not had a Muscovy egg, but I like duck eggs from other breeds. Males do not lay eggs, one good reason to have females!

6. Newchickenguy84

Newchickenguy84 Chirping

May 15, 2018
    NE TN
    As far also as I've seen they can also be keep with chickens. They just need to be able to get their beaks under water to blow out their nose. They do not require water to swim

Parront likes this.
  7. Parront

Parront Crowing

Jul 27, 2017
    Prescott, AZ
    I have seen them around here in yards, roaming with chickens.

8. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

Have a plan B in place because many times the two species don't get along...

Wolfefarmyard likes this.
  9. McChics

McChics Songster

Apr 10, 2015
    I'm currently on-the-job figuring this out. This site ROCKS and has so much good info - but it doesn't become really real until you are in it up to your neck. I've had ONE issue where a (I think drake) and hen got into it. To be fair, the hen injured herself somehow trying to do a karate kid crane stance movement. But, there has been some friction. They are still with access to each other, but the hen is staying clear when she sees him. The water is a headache. The hens drink from little push buttons on a bucket - clean...no mess. I have several areas for ducks to drink...and they instantly churn clean water not just dirty, but you can smell it like rotten after it sits all day with their food debris mixed in! A lot more work for me each day.

The hens go in each night on schedule and I have auto doors that close them up.

The ducks...well, they are party animals and have no interest in putting themselves to sleep. I have their own hutch essentially built onto the coop area. But I have to go manually get them in (for now). Be prepared to deal with that different behavior. They wipe out their bedding way faster than hens. The chickens are sooo easy with auto doors - I can go days at a time when we are out of town and don't worry about them...don't even have to go out there...but the ducks are wearing me out trying to get it automated. Makes it hard to leave the house alone even at night late for fear of predators. Your set up and yard may help you avoid this headache.

Right now ducks/drakes/hens and baby chickens (hen and rooster) all tolerate each other...but they don't hang out and pal around much. But they also aren't trying to kill each other...right now.

The ducks over-run the chicken feeder as well - they are hungry buggers...but do spend a lot of time out in the yard munching bugs and plants.

Good luck! It is fun - they are adorable!

Parront likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: