Adding ducks with chickens

gclarrot

Songster
Apr 21, 2020
Like a lot of us - I am adding to my ladies this spring in 2021. :D I currently have 1 black swedish and 2 saxony ducklings in my cart.
I have a three walled coop, attached to a run. My ladies free range in my acre daily (unless i notice a lot of hawk activity).
I have a dropping board with a LOT of room underneath along the back of my sand coop floor and run (I live in Florida).
I have all together, 130 sq ft between coop (it's three walls, it's technically not a closed door coop since it's too hot here in central Florida), and run. 12 birds. Would that be a viable option to add ducks to the coop? since they sleep on the ground? What would be the preferred medium for underneath the dropping boards for them to nest and sleep? (the board is 4ft in width and about 8 ft across).

I can slap together a duck house pretty fast since it's basically a box, and a run.

I have been considering adding ducks to my flock too, but here are some things I've learned along the decision making process:
- Ducks can lay wherever, and in doing so can encourage the hens to also lay wherever.
- Ducks like to party at night, and chickens don't. They prefer their beauty rest.
- Ducks need a bowl of water, or something they can dip their bills in. They WILL get water everywhere.

Points one and two have made me pause in the decision making process.

I'm not sure about the spacing and everything, but it should be fine as long as they are only sleeping in there, not spending their entire day in it. Are you getting sexed ducklings? You do not want to keep drakes with chickens if they only have a acre to range on. Many people say not to have drakes with chickens, no matter the spacing.

definitely sexed ducklings and hopefully all females. I haven't had an issue with cackle yet and ive ordered from them twice but obviously not ducklings. all have been 100% pullets from my chick boxes.
I have read drakes can kill chickens trying to mate with them so I don't want that.

would you think straw would work fine? and weekly dumping in the compost pile?

definitely sexed ducklings and hopefully all females. I haven't had an issue with cackle yet and ive ordered from them twice but obviously not ducklings. all have been 100% pullets from my chick boxes.
I have read drakes can kill chickens trying to mate with them so I don't want that.

would you think straw would work fine? and weekly dumping in the compost pile?
Yes, straw should be just fine. Drakes can kill, or at least badly injure hens. I hope you do end up with all females. If you want to be absolutely certain they are females, you can order golden layer ducks, which are auto sexing from their colors.

Yes, straw should be just fine. Drakes can kill, or at least badly injure hens. I hope you do end up with all females. If you want to be absolutely certain they are females, you can order golden layer ducks, which are auto sexing from their colors.
I have someone to rehome drakes too, if not cull them. So, we will see. Fingers crossed, right?

That's always a good thing, finding new homes for drakes can be challenging. Good luck!
I have a good friend who would like to try duck (i personally do not like it..the most advernous ive become i like venison).
Coming into this, there may always be a time and place to cull. Either for food, or illness. I think a lot of us get jaded when it needs to happen. Either way, they will be definitely enjoyed.

I have a good friend who would like to try duck (i personally do not like it..the most advernous ive become i like venison).
Coming into this, there may always be a time and place to cull. Either for food, or illness. I think a lot of us get jaded when it needs to happen. Either way, they will be definitely enjoyed.
I haven't tried duck yet. I have too many drakes and will be eating one soon.

I'm not sure about the spacing and everything, but it should be fine as long as they are only sleeping in there, not spending their entire day in it. Are you getting sexed ducklings? You do not want to keep drakes with chickens if they only have a acre to range on. Many people say not to have drakes with chickens, no matter the spacing.

I have been considering adding ducks to my flock too, but here are somethings I've learned along the decision making process:
- Ducks can lay wherever, and in doing so can encourage the hens to also lay wherever.
- Ducks like to party at night, and chickens don't. They prefer their beauty rest.
- Ducks need a bowl of water, or something they can dip their bills in. They WILL get water everywhere.

Points one and two have made me pause in the decision making process.

i didn't know the first two.
I did definitely consider the last one as I would prefer to them free range due to this aspect because chickens and water don't mix.

My husband is more set and my youngest for ducklings more so than I am since I am the one who is home AND cleaning.

Back
Top Bottom