Adding eggs to a running incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Autumn Leaves, Jan 19, 2015.

1. Autumn Leaves

Autumn Leaves Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    I did a quick search and could not find exactly what I'm looking for.

I ordered some Ebay eggs from some sellers I saw had good reviews on Facebook. BUT I forgot about the mail holiday.

I have some large fowl Welsummers (12) arriving tomorrow the 20th, d'Anvers (12) arriving on Jan 24th and bantam cochins (8) on Jan 26th. Hopefully they arrive sooner but these things happen.

Since bantams tend to hatch at day 19 I feel safe putting the Welsummers in earlier than the others. So here is the question - when I add the bantam eggs to an already running incubator do I add them all at once or a few at a time? I'm leaning toward the all at once and just dip the temp once.

2. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    I would add the bantam eggs all at once.

Depending on how old the Welsummer eggs are when they arrive, you may want to consider waiting to set the eggs. Bantam eggs sometimes hatch on day 19, but in my experience they are just as likely to hatch on day 20 or day 21. You may end up with a staggered hatch lasting several days, which isn't usually a good thing. Chicken eggs can be as old as 14 days old before being set, with very little loss in hatchablity.

3. Autumn Leaves

Autumn Leaves Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2014
    Cincinnati Ohio
    Thanks for the info - I'll contact the seller and see how old the eggs are. I wish I had thought about MLK day before I purchased - live and learn

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by