Adding eggs to broody hen

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by redkan, Jul 29, 2008.

1. redkan

redkan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Central Maine
    I have a bantam who's just gone broody on bantam eggs (oh boy, more free chicks coming) and I'd love to slip her a BR egg. Unfortunately, before I realized she'd gone broody I slipped the most recent BR egg into the refrigerator. Am I correct in assuming that any eggs that have been refrigerated won't hatch? Also, if I take tomorrow's egg from the BR will it "catch up" with the rest of them or will it be too late for that as well? Last question, assuming I have an egg to add to the nest, what's the best time of day or night to add it?

2. arlee453

arlee453 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2007
    near Charlotte NC
    It won't hurt to try slipping that cold egg under her. People here have hatched STORE-BOUGHT REFRIGERATED eggs marked 'fertile' so I would think that one day in the fridge probably didn't do major damage.

I would take it out and let it get to room temp before putting under her, just so you don't freeze her tushy!

Slip them under her at night and she won't even know you put it in there! Just be sure not to give her more eggs than she can cover.

3. redkan

redkan Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2008
    Central Maine
    Slip them under her at night...

Hmmm ... I was afraid you'd say that. She's upstairs in the loft which means a trip up the ladder in the dark..... :eek:

4. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    all u can do is try and see it mite hatch and yes night is best in my opinion

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by