Adding eggs to incubator after 4 days?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SIMZ, Apr 18, 2012.

1. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I set some eggs in my Little Giant incubator Saturday night. Today is Wednesday and I was finally able to purchase some Black Copper Marans hatching eggs (WOOHOO!!).

What do you think? Can I go ahead and add them now and just put the whole thing into lock down at the same time?

OR should I get another incubator to use for hatching the earlier eggs when it's time for lock down?

Thanks!

2. SamJacobbe

SamJacobbe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    Wellington Florida
    It's probably fine.

Most eggs won't hatch on the hatch date anyways, usually earlier or later. I would put them in right away though.
    You can probably get away with putting them in this one, and then moving them to a new one once lock-down starts for the other eggs. That way you don't need to worry about keeping two working for now.

I am actually just building my own incubator and having some problems, so I will need to work out the kinks... But all in all, from what I have incubated during school, vet classes, and other friends houses. Staggered hatches are okay if they eggs aren't put in too much later than the first. Though I do recommend getting another incubator to put them in when hatch day comes for the others, as they might still need turning during those last few days.

I really hope your hatches work. Good Luck! [​IMG]

3. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    Thanks for the reply! I was thinking that I could work out a solution while they're incubating together the next few weeks as well. :)

4. SamJacobbe

SamJacobbe Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2012
    Wellington Florida
    It seems to me like that is most logical. I mean, why waste time and the chance of the eggs going bad, when you have weeks to worry about it. [​IMG]

5. SIMZ

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    EXACTLY! I've always used the same approach to hatching and buying more chicks. "Where will we put them? Who knows, but I'm sure we can come up with something in the 3 weeks before they're too big for the brooder!" [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by