Adding eggs to the bator question?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by 77bronco, May 16, 2011.

1. 77bronco

77bronco Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    I set my eggs Saturday and was wondering if I could add some silkie eggs as well and if so what would be the latest. All I have is one incubator and I've got the silkie wants something bad. I'm new to chickens and incubators so I'm a rookie and if it would be better to wait until the first batch hatches that's fine just thought I would ask the professionals for advice.
    Thanks.

2. RonnieAtkeson

RonnieAtkeson Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2008
    Tahlequah Oklahoma
    Ive done it but i hate doing it becase once those eggs start hatching earlier, they put alot of poop,pee, and bacteria into the bator. Ive had to clean it in a hurry reset the eggs that were due at a later time. Its worked but its a gamble, its best to wait. Consider upgrading to a cabinet bator you can pick them up on craigslist now and then at 1/2 price or better. There worth it trust me lol.

3. Sierra pachie bars

Sierra pachie bars Queen of the Lost

Nov 8, 2008
    I use two incubators , when I add eggs I date them then use a group number. When that group hits day 18 I move it to The other incubator. I then have a additional bottom and replace that and clean as I need too. It takes some getting use to with all the hatch dates, but i constantly have chicks hatching. Going to need to take a break so because I am bring over ran. Lol

4. 77bronco

77bronco Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2011
    Thanks. Guess i'll have to get another bator or just wait and see how the first hatch goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by