adding flaxseed

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by HSerChickLady, Apr 17, 2012.

1. HSerChickLady

HSerChickLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    I'm unable to free-range my flock but still want eggs high in omega-3 so i have mixed some flaxseed into their rations when they were on their old feed. But i was never sure how much flaxseed to give them. Does anyone know how much to mix into their feed to get the level up to a comparable level with birds who free-range?

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    I sprinkle some on their "evening before roosting scratch snack". I just get a handful and lightly sprinkle over the mix. I have heard that not only does flax seed up the omega 3 in the eggs, but it also helps the hens reproductive tract, possibly lowering her risk for reproductive cancers.

But they also say that too much flax seed can effect the taste of the eggs. I have never had any bad tasting eggs with my tiny handful I cast over their evening snack.

3. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    A little goes a long way with Linseed/Flax Seed and too much can do more harm than good.

I myself do not and will not feed it. Way too many cons and not enough pros in feeding it.
    Here is a quote from University of California, Avian Sciences Department.

Quote: Note that 2 to 3 percent of there diet would be 2 or 3 pounds of Linseed per 100 pounds of there regular feed.

A better way to to Omega 3 Fatty Acids is to add about a tsp of Fish oil or Soybean Oil to there feed once a week.

Chris

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012
  4. HSerChickLady

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    Thanks Chris09, i'll have to research it a bit more. I've been feeding them Purina's Layena Omega-3 feed the past few months but they're not eating it as well as their previous feed. I also saw in another thread someone mentioned flaxseed can cause pasty butt even in adults and i actually have noticed that some of my birds have dirty bums which is something i've never noticed before. I am hoping to get my girls onto a soy-free diet but perhaps i could try fish oil instead. Will the fish oil affect the eggs taste?

5. Chris09

Chris09 Circle (M) Ranch

Jun 1, 2009
    Ohio
    It can if used too much, it can also give them a oily feathers if you use to much.
    A tsp once a week shouldn't affect the taste of the eggs at all, here is a list other plants and oils that will help.

Hemp Seed, http://www.jedds.com/-strse-914/Leach-Grain-&-Milling/Detail.bok
    Pumpkin Seed,
    Kale Greens,
    Spinach Greens,
    Mustard Greens,

Wheat Germ Oil
    Canola (mustard seed oil)

Chris

6. HSerChickLady

Feb 12, 2012
    upstate NY
    Great, thank you! I know i can get pumpkin seeds and pumpkin seed oil locally-is one better than the other? I know i can buy organic spinach at the store too. I almost think i've seen Kale there as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by