1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

Adding hens to a flock>>>>>

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Phionex Boy, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Phionex Boy

Phionex Boy Chirping

Jul 29, 2014
    Beaufort,SC
    If i have 3 hens in a flock can i add 3 more to them later when the chicks are 5 weeks old? Will the rosters still mate with the 7 week old chickens? Would they get hurt?

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 Free Ranging Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    You don't want to add 5 week old chicks to adults, they will probably get picked on and may even get killed, it is best to wait until the chickens are about the same size (so around four months old for standard birds), and then a long period of seeing but no touching through wire seem to work best, ie dividing the coop into two sections or keeping the new/younger ones in a cage inside the coup for a couple of weeks to a month at least. The chickens will get to know each other and sort of work out a pecking order before actually coming in contact with each other. If you can, letting them free range together is a good idea and should help with the integrating ... It will take a couple of weeks to get the pecking order sorted out when you do combine them. There is a nice article in the Learning Center on integrating flocks you might like to check out, the part about actually combining them is after the quarantine section https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/adding-to-your-flock

3. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    A rooster might try to mate with the chicks. Some roos are very nice to young chicks and actually show they around and help them know all the rules. It really depends on your roo.
    How old is your roo and your hens?

4. Phionex Boy

Phionex Boy Chirping

Jul 29, 2014
    Beaufort,SC
    oh im just planning ahead i have 6 chickens right now 18 weeks old all of them so i have to get rid of 2 so im getting 3 more chicks later

5. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Why are you getting rid of 2 and then getting 3 more?

6. Phionex Boy

Phionex Boy Chirping

Jul 29, 2014
    Beaufort,SC
    i have to get rid of 2 roosters i have 3 [​IMG] BTW witch rooster is better between barred rock,RIR, and Buff orpington

7. lightchick

lightchick Crowing

Apr 3, 2014
    Minnesota
    Buff Orpingtons are suppose to be the nicest! I'd go with the Buff Oprington.

8. Stiggy

Stiggy Songster

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    Orpington or barred rock all the way

9. mightymax

mightymax Songster

Oct 8, 2013
    Central Coast, CA
    I think Phoenix Boy may have accidentally posted his question about adding more hens on this thread instead of starting a new thread. Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought this thread used to be about "What Chickens are the most broody?" If I'm wrong, please forgive me and then excuse me while I go get my head checked...lol !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: