Adding hens to a lone rooster

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by DanaWilson, Feb 11, 2015.

1. DanaWilson

DanaWilson New Egg

Jul 18, 2014
    I recently rescued a Polish rooster and I'd like to get him some hens. I have a 10x10 coop with an acre for supervised free ranging. There's a farm nearby that has laying age hens and I'd like to get something that will have decent egg production and get along with my roo. He's 8 months, hand raised so he's fairly tame and was kept with silkie hens before coming to my house. He only came to me because the girl that raised him lives in a neighborhood with an HOA and roosters are a no no when they crow at 4:30-5:00 am every morning lol so that's why I say "rescue." I want to find something that will get along with him. They have Ameraucana, Buff Orpington and Barred Rock pullets and then Production Reds, Rhode Island Reds, New Hampshire Reds, Buff Orpingtons, Black Austrolorps, Silver Laced Wyandottes, Ameraucanas and Delawares of laying age available. Does anyone have any recommendations on kind and how many will be ok in the 10x10? I don't plan on getting another rooster unless we have another coop built or enlarge the one we have now.
    Thanks!
    [​IMG]

2. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    My favorite breeds are Barred Rocks, Buff Orpingtons, Ameraucanas, Black Australorps, and Silver Laced Wyandottes. But all of the breeds will be great for your flock! Good luck with picking breeds!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2015
  3. DanaWilson

DanaWilson New Egg

Jul 18, 2014
    I'm really liking how pretty the silver laced wyandottes are. How many would you recommend? I was thinking 2 or 3.

4. BonRae67

BonRae67 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2014
    Florida
    Wow he is beautiful. Yes 2 or 3 would be a great start for him and you. Silver wyandottes lay good, big eggs. I think that if they breed and have babies that would be an interesting combo.

5. familyfarm1

familyfarm1 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 9, 2013
    Northern Virginia
    x2

6. LeeHoll

LeeHoll Out Of The Brooder

Mar 6, 2017
    Fulton County, PA
    I am in a similar situation. I rescued a Barred Rock rooster. He ran away from his home because his two brothers were trying to kill him. Made it to my house through woods and fields, 2 miles from where he started! Found the original owner (doesn't want him back). At that time he was about 6 months old. Now he is a full-grown, handsome boy, sweet and companionabkle. He gets lonely so I would like to get a few hens for him to keep him company. Eggs would be a bonus, but I really just want to keep my boy happy! A friend that has chickens is giving me a hen to try with him. I don't want to get a whole flock at this time, just hope he doesn't bother her too much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by