Adding hens to ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Janay, Aug 6, 2014.

1. Janay

Janay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2013
    Cape Cod, MA
    My Coop
    OK, so I tried to add 8 ducks to a flock of 9 hens and that didn't work. I could see death coming. So I gave away my hens to a friend and kept the ducks. My family would like to have hens again, so we want to get some chicks at some point. But I want to know how they will get along. Please answer only if you have had experience adding chickens to a flock of ducks. How will the ducks react? Will the attack the chickens or be mean any other way? What is the best approach when it gets to finally adding the chicks? I have also thought of buying some chicks and ducklings and raising them together.
    Thanks.

2. Shaneb99

Shaneb99 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2009
    Alberta
    OK - I meet your criteria. When I set up my current coop 15 years ago the first birds I bought were 5 mature ducks. I then added chickens as chicks and have had them together ever since. I currently have about 30 ducks in with about the same number of chickens plus ducklings and chicks that were hatched. I'm surprised that you had problems because I have never had any issues between them. Did you have them in a big enough space for 17 birds? You don't say what breed of ducks or chickens. Maybe it makes a difference. Anyhow here is what I suggest. Add the chickens by putting them in their own pen but where they can see the ducks and the ducks can see them. After a few days when everyone has calmed down open the chicken pen so they can get out on their own. I think you'll find they each figure out their own place and be OK.

3. Janay

Janay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2013
    Cape Cod, MA
    My Coop
    thank you for your input. I had Red Stars and added Khakis and Pekins. The hens were so mad the were literally ripping the ducks to pieces! It was such a horrific sight that me and my family members had to have days to recover from the emotional trauma. Before I integrated them together I had them side by side with a wiring separating so they could get used to each other. that was for about 5-6 weeks. It made no difference. I definitely don't want anything like that happening again. I am wondering if the ducks will accept the chickens differently than the hens did the ducks. I would love to make a flock of ducks and chickens work together, but am very nervous to try again due to my terrible experience a few months ago...
    Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by