Adding hens to one lonely hen...

noelicus

Hatching
5 Years
Feb 21, 2014
Hi,

We only have one hen left. If we get some new ones from a place where there's 100s of chickens sharing a coup will they all get along as though none of them know each other? ... or will I have to keep the new ones separate from the old one? Normally I'd keep the new ones separate to protect them from the existing flock - but one hen isn't a flock :)

Any other advice along the way. Don't want the old-girl to feel lonely and don't want her to get overrun with the new ones either!!

Thanks!

Welcome to BYC!

It's always wise to quarantine new birds well away from your existing flock for at least a couple of weeks, 30 days is best. Especially coming from a place that has so many birds. I realize you just have one remaining bird from your previous flock but it's still a good idea to quarantine in case they start to show any sign of disease.

I would then fence off part of the run for them so they can be out with your bird and everybody can get acquainted through the fence for a few days at least and see how it goes. A little cool down period to get used to each other often results in much easier integration with less fighting and less blood drawn!

Something else to be aware of and watch closely for is coccidiosis in both the new birds and your bird. The new birds may bring in a new strain or the new birds may be exposed to a strain of coccidia at your place that is new to them. Keep some Corid on hand in case of an outbreak.

Last edited:
Thank you! and thanks for a quick reply too :)

We have twice added hens before, so are familiar with the (pecking!) procedure. I have a feeling things might be a little different since we don't have an "old crowd". I wonder if getting more new hens is better or worse (for the old one - I'm sure that's better for the new ones).

Last edited:
Hi,

We only have one hen left. If we get some new ones from a place where there's 100s of chickens sharing a coup will they all get along as though none of them know each other? ... or will I have to keep the new ones separate from the old one? Normally I'd keep the new ones separate to protect them from the existing flock - but one hen isn't a flock :)

Any other advice along the way. Don't want the old-girl to feel lonely and don't want her to get overrun with the new ones either!!

Thanks!
If you are very attacked to you original chicken... then you must keep the new ones separate just in case they have a disease (for at least 3 weeks).

If it was me. I would just add the new ones all together with you old one.

They will have enough to think about with their new home and exploring to do much fighting with you old hen.

Good luck.. and please post some pics of your new flock.

Here 5 new girls and oldie getting right in with them. Seems to me she looks protective. Maybe it's the corn talking.

Guy at the farm shop said that having the same breed won't make them get on any more than separate ones. We went for two the same anyway as oldie seems to be some kind of super chicken :)

Aw, that's cool that they seem to be getting along just fine right off the bat! It's always nice when things go easier then expected lol. I'm sure your older bird will be very happy to settle in with new buddies.

Nice looking birds by the way.

Back
Top Bottom