Adding incubated chick to hen with naturally hatched chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by vrossouw, Jul 14, 2011.

1. vrossouw

vrossouw New Egg

Jul 14, 2011
    We had to remove one egg (to test for fertility) from a hen that went broody underneath some floor boards. The egg has now hatched. Could we just add the chick to the others which were hatched by the hen under the floorboards? Would the hen accept this chick or should we rather raise it by itself? Any suggestions?

2. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    If they are the same age you can give it a try. Slip the chick under the Mom after she has gone to sleep at night, and then keep an eye on things in the morning to be sure she accepts it.

3. raimnel

raimnel Chillin' With My Peeps

I have slipped chicks in! lol how old are they all?

4. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Some broodies will accept a chick and some won't. All you can do is try and watch.

5. vrossouw

vrossouw New Egg

Jul 14, 2011
    Thanks for your replies. They were all less than 24 hrs old and we slipped the chick in with the rest just before bedtime. It all seems to have worked well, because today we don't know which one it was and the hen is taking care of all 13 chicks.

6. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    [​IMG]
    Yay!

7. Patricia Jane

Patricia Jane Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Petaluma CA
    Ya!!!! Great to hear. Makes me fell alittle less nervous. I have a hen thats been sitting on infertile eggs and I plan on tucking chicks under her in about 2 weeks. Its her first time so I'm alittle apprehensive about it.

8. snyd08

snyd08 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2011
    my broody is hatching 3 texas a&ms right now with one already hatched under her. i have a few more pipped inside my incubator same clutch same hatch i just tried my broody for the first time and slipped 3 under her. now i think tomorrow im going to try and slip all of the hatchlings under her and see how it goes so i dont have to use a brooder i can rely on momma. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by