Adding Light Fixture to Extension Cord...Idiot Idea?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fasschicks, Jan 5, 2015.

1. fasschicks

fasschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    Currently, we have electricity running to our coop in the form of an extension cord and a power strip. During the winter, I have only 2 items that are plugged in....fish tank heater or heated dog bowl for the water and supplemental light. I have a clamp-on light and a low-wattage light bulb. HOWEVER, this week, I am using the red heat lamp bulb because I have girls molting and some of the highs this week will be in the negatives with wind chills -20 to -30 below. After last year (my first year raising chickens), I decided that I wouldn't use the heat lamp all winter, but with 2 of my girls in a pretty decent molt with full on bare butts and them shaking cold, I decided to heat 3 hours in the morning and 3 hours at night.

For all of you electrical gurus out there, is there a safe way to run an extension cord to the coop, but to install a light fixture that can't be knocked down like the clamp lights? I have 2 screws in the clamp light to secure it better, but realize this is still not 100% safe. I would like to screw in some sort of light fixture that would be more permanent and safer than a clamp light.

Any ideas that you could share or links to certain products that have worked well for you? I would like to run real electric lines to the coop, but we would have to break through a concrete patio to get it done. Thanks for any suggestions.

Wendy

2. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada

I do not have heat or light in my coop I do not think it is necessary for my birds. Some people run electricity out to a coop and use an extension cord. If you are not willing to put a well anchored safety chain on your heat lamp to prepare for the unexpected.

BE PREPARED FOR THIS
    Trust me it happens every year in a barn or coop somewhere.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This maybe a good idea to guard against electrocution if your circuit is not already protected,

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  3. fasschicks

fasschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2013
    South Central Wisconsin
    Thanks, Hokum Coco. Believe me, I take this very serious. It honestly keeps me up at night. I don't mind having a very low wattage dog bowl and low wattage CFL in there, but the heat lamp really gets to my nerves (my DH thinks I am crazy to be worried about it!). I might just bring in my 2 girls for a couple days to get through the worst of the weather until their feathers start to come in. They do pretty well until about 0, but after that they have been shaking quite a bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by