1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding light. How long for eggs?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by MA acreage, Jan 15, 2013.

1. MA acreage

MA acreage New Egg

Jul 22, 2012
    Hey guys I've been a follower for a very long time. I live in the north so the days are shorter here. I have added a light onto a timer in the coop to get them all laying. The background is a 8month old silver laced. And we also have 7RIR at 26 weeks old. The light has been in there about 7days now. It has caused the silver laced to start laying some really good eggs after only 5 days. My question is how long do you think it will take until the RIR get used to the iChat jconsidering there 26 weeks old now. Thanks

2. Den in Penn

Den in Penn Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2011
    SE Pa.
    The RIRs should start to lay any time. At 26 weeks they have taken the slow route to maturity. Now that you have added the light and naturally the days are getting longer with spring coming, it won't be to much longer. Could be a month or tomorrow.

3. MA acreage

MA acreage New Egg

Jul 22, 2012
    Hmm. I figured with the lack of light since its the dead of winter that was the problem as to why they have not started to lay. I hope it's soon as we're running low on eggs now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by