1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

adding more chickens

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by animallover505, Sep 25, 2012.

1. I am getting some more chickens! RIRs and Bantams, The new chickens will likely outnumber my existing flock of four. I have seen them at their old home, they are very healthy. How should I introduce them?

2. J-Sanders

J-Sanders Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2012
    You should always quarantine any new additions for at least two weeks preferable 30 days. Even healthy looking chickens can be carriers of disease that they have had and survived. As the new group will be larger than the existing flock there will be some pecking order issues and you should keep watch on them. Look for signs of feather pulling and bullying. Make absolutely sure that you have more waterers than you really need as well as extra feeding stations as a bully will keep them off as much as they can.

Jim

3. I'm introducing them to my flock tomorrow, how should I do it?

4. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Free ranging them should work best, then they have room to run from a bully.

5. I've always been told not to free-range the first day, that they need time to get used to their new home. Plus, I won't be home to watch them but for about 4 or 5 hours. Maybe a little more.

6. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Have you had them in a pen/tractor coop next to the main coop? Have they had any "through the fence" introductions? If you can't introduce with free ranging, I would make sure you are in the coop with them to break up any major fights. Some do the introducing at night by putting on roost, if you do this make sure you are there before sun up as it could go bad.

7. I'll be in the coop with them as much as possible, probably with a LOT of treats and snacks to help. They haven't been able to see each other yet, but I'll be watching closely.

8. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Can you do it maybe a few hours before sunset, that way they will naturally want to roost and go to sleep? Might go good

9. It'll be early in the morning :/[​IMG]

10. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Hope for the best, prepare for the worst. BTW, how old are the new birds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by