1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Adding more nesting box es, where to place them?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by sandy sea, Apr 18, 2009.

1. sandy sea

sandy sea Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    I need to add three more nesting boxes. Should I stack them on top of my other three or should I place them on another wall? I now have 18 laying hens wanting to lay about the same time. Better to stack them or put on another wall at ground level?

2. sandy sea

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    Anyone with a good answer? My husband is outside with the measuring tape and saw.

3. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    You should be able to stack if not too high. If he already has the measuring tape he might have already decided what he wants to do...lol.

4. sandy sea

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    No, he is waiting for me to give the OK.

5. Leah-yes I know I'm crazy

Leah-yes I know I'm crazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2008
    Skidway Lake, MI
    How high is the set you have now?

6. sandy sea

Mar 19, 2008
    Gavilan Hills, CA
    The top of the boxes are at 18 inches. Do you think if I stack the new ones on top that it would be too high? I do have another wall where I can place the new ones.

7. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    The closer they are to the old ones, the more likely they will use them. I think if you put them "way over there" they may ignore them. Just above the old ones should work out fine, unless they are silkies or soemthing that can't fly at all.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by