Adding motion sensor spotlight

Shamo Hybrid

Crowing
Jun 6, 2018
I would like to add one of them solar powered motion sensor spotlight around my chicken pen to deter any predators if there are any lurking aorund, do you think if the spotlight turns on and off randomly throughout the night that it will bother the chickens enough to where they can't get a good night's rest? Or will they not even know it when and if it does keep turning itself on and off due to a deep sleep?

We had one for awhile, years ago. It was mounted to one of the tall corner posts that divided the chicken and turkey pens. I didn't notice any difference to the birds while it was working, but the turkeys soon decided that they needed to eat the wire that connected the solar panel and the light itself.

I used a motion sensor light but it never worked for me. Coons wouldn’t care and still try to break in. Also my roo would sometimes get confuzzled in why “daylight” was so early and go in the run. We had to get rid of the light after he got sick from lack of sleep

I have one near my runs. I haven't noticed any ill effects on the chickens. I do not count on it to keep predators away, however if I see the light on (I can see it from a window in my house), I know something is lurking about and can go out to investigate. I find it very helpful for me when I go to take care of things by the coops after dark, especially this time of year when it gets dark so early. I don't have to bring a flashlight with me or anything.

I use a sensor light as well. It doesn’t turn on unless my cat is near it or a predator is. The chickens seem fine but I wouldn’t put it to close to the coop bc then it might bother the chooks. My light is on the porch but it is close enough to the coop but it won’t bother the birds

Back
Top Bottom