Adding new baby's to hen

Aquaman05

Chirping
7 Years
May 2, 2012
One of my hens is sitting on eggs and so far just one has hatched.
I purchased 4 baby's from the store today and put them in the same area that I made in my barn.
Is this a bad idea ?
So far the chick she hatched seems to be the bully big time to the others .
The mom pecked a few times at them put nothing major.

Any advice would be great

Well I think I figured it out, mom can't play nice to intruders so back to the coop she goes !
Her baby don't like it but I'm sure it will get used to new friends ( I hope ).

I only add chicks to a hen after dark. I put them straight under her and let them nestle. That way in the morning they smell like her and come out on their own. Most of the time she will take them. Here and there I will get a hen that doesn't like a chick and will peck at it and not the others.

its not a very wise idea to put a mom with chicks back in the coop, alot of bullying from other chickens occur and deaths happen.

its not a very wise idea to put a mom with chicks back in the coop, alot of bullying from other chickens occur and deaths happen. 

Well I just put the hen back in the coop.
The baby chick stayed in my barn with the new baby chicks I purchased.

if so and if the hen is still broody, take her and put her back in with the chick immediatly!! and take out the others till it is pitch black, and im serious when i say that, not even a night lamp. when its dark put them under her, she should take them.

if so and if the hen is still broody, take her and put her back in with the chick immediatly!! and take out the others till it is pitch black, and im serious when i say that, not even a night lamp. when its dark put them under her, she should take them. 

I never thought about doing it when its dark but it's been about 3 days now so ill just leave them be.

Yes they are the same age.

Back
Top Bottom