Adding new birds to flock?? Need ideas

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by KateR, Jan 26, 2013.

1. KateR

KateR Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Small town Missouri
    Neighbor of mine needed to get rid of his 12 hens asked me if I wanted them..said sure why not. So as of right now I have all 12 full grown hens in a large dog cage sitting in my coop. Now I let my birds free range during the day and they roost in the coop at night. So my question is when can I let the new comers out and know they will be safe and return to the coop at night? It's only been one night but it's already getting cramped with all 12 in the dog cage.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Hello and welcome to BYC [​IMG] They should stay in the coop for a week to let them learn where "home" is. ideally you should've kept them completely separate from your flock for a month to make sure they are healthy and are not introducing any pests or diseases. It may be a good time to dust your old and new birds for mites and deworm them as a precaution.

1 person likes this.
  3. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    X2 on sumi's advice!

4. liz9910

liz9910 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 8, 2012
    Northern California
    [​IMG] x3 on sumi's advice.

5. KateR

KateR Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Small town Missouri
    Oh no I cleaned out the coop put new wood shaving in, dusted everyone and gave everyone antibiotic in their water when I got them all home. I don't have a way to put them in a completely different area away from the others so I should leave them in dog craig for a week?

6. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Welcome to BYC. Since they are neighboring birds chances are that they and your birds have already been exposed to the same environment. It almost sounds as if the dog cage is too small for them. I would add them to the coop, but not allow free ranging for at least a week.

7. KateR

KateR Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    Small town Missouri
    Thank you!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by